21 - Time

Lydia's POV

Time is a funny thing.. isn't it.

It's both torture and a gift.

It teases you with life's special, landmark moments... and makes them feel as though they went by with a blink. But when you feel like you're soul is being ripped away from you as you cry until your lungs burn, it makes them feel as though they lasted forever.

Even though there was another month and a half before Hero and Archie went back to college, and I went off to my own new adventure, our limited time together was still on my mind.

We tried to savor every moment we had together, but deep down there was that blazing sadness that he was leaving at the end of summer.

So as I stared up at him while he slept on the fine summer morning to which I had awoken to, I watched his chest gently move up and down as he inhaled and exhaled.

I felt his strong arms holding me tightly, as I tried to make sure I would remember the details of his touch. And I studied his features so that they were ingrained into my memory.

It's not as if I could ever forget him anyway.

Suddenly, I was interrupted by his alarm blaring out of his phone which laid next to him on the bedside table, which caused him to stir before he turned to shut it off.

"How long have you been awake babe?" He questioned me in his deep, sleepy voice.

"Not long" I lied.

"Guess what day it is?" He smiled excitedly.

I knew what day it was, but I assumed he wanted to say it so I simply replied with "Saturday?" and giggled.

"Nice try, but it's FIGHT DAY!!" He exclaimed as he took me into his grip and started to tickle me.

"I - knew - that" I said between laughs. "I just wanted to let you say it".

Hero had been allowed to return to boxing with his old coach and he'd been working really hard.

"I'm really proud of you by the way" I said as I smiled at him.

"Thankyou, that means the most coming from you" he replied as he kissed me tenderly before making his way downstairs for breakfast.

"Hero I'm so excited I get to watch your fight, is your father going to be there".

Ouch. Way to go mum.

"Uh - No Mrs Bennett he can't make it unfortunately" he replied untruthfully.

Hero hadn't invited his dad to the fight. Hell, he hadn't even gone and visited him even tho he only lived around the corner.

"I'm sorry my mum brought up your dad" I whispered to him as he picked up an apple from the fruit bowl.

He looked around cautiously before kissing me softly. "It's okay, nothing can ruin this day for me princess".

"When does is start I don't want to be late?"

"Be there for 5 Mrs B, starts at 6 but I know you'll like to get there early to get a good table, I'll already be there, in-fact, I'm leaving in a bit to have a chat with coach and sort some stuff" he smiled.

And with that he gave me a quick kiss goodbye when nobody was watching and left for the gym.

As the hours passed, I obsessed over what I was going to wear, naturally, and eventually settled on the smart-casual choice of a gorgeous beige corset and jeans with heels (pictured below).

Undoubtedly, I captured Hero's attention immediately after entering the venue.

He was getting his hands wrapped ready for the fight by his coach, and damn he looked good.

"Goodluck out there champ" my brother smiled as him and hero participated in one of those cliché bro hugs. "You're gonna smash it".

"I've got a bottle of Champaign on ice for later for ya" my mum winked at him' "Cmon let's go find a table you two".

"Oh yous two go I think I just dropped the back of my earring somewhere here, I'll meet yous there" I smiled as I pretended to search.

"Alright don't be long darling" my mother responded, walking out of the room and leaving me and hero alone, finally.

"That was cheeky" he replied before encasing my lips with his.

"I missed you, and I've been a nervous wreck all day... not that I think you're going to loose or anything, I just don't want you to get hurt".

"I'll be fine gorgeous, this stuffs what I live for" he said whilst maintaining strong eye contact and pressing his forehead against mine.

"Remember, channel everything you've got into this fight, every bit of hate, and go nuts" I smirked. "I love you".

————————————————
"Anddddd next, we've got an old fan favorite risen from the dead to compete against another blast from the past... you've seen these two battle it out before but the stakes have never been higher, it'sssss Heroooo and Dean the Machine!"

Oh god.

*Flashback*

"Andddd oh nooo, Hero stumbles again as Dean continues to dominate this ring tonight. He really needs to step up his game if he's to carry on his legacy here tonight".

Panicked whispers filled the crowd.

"Is he drunk"

"Somethings not right"

"What's wrong with him?"

"He's fading..."

"OH NO, HERO IS DOWN, I REPEAT HERO IS DOWN! Folks if he gets back up from this it'll be a miracle."

"He's lost it"

"5 minute wonder for sure"

"Knew he wouldn't last"

*End a of Flashback*