Chapter 11: Surprise

The hallway was long. Ominous. Cement floors and gray walls, lit by pale fluorescents. Johnny walked cautiously down it toward the closed elevator doors at the end.

Why is it always a fucking elevator?

The doors slid open with a ding as he drew near. There was blood smeared on the wall and pooled on the floor, and sitting in the middle of it was Alyssa, hand on her shoulder and head hung limp.

"Alyssa!" he cried, rushing forward. She looked up at him with fear. Blood was seeping through her fingers, trickling down her arm as he knelt in front of her. "What were you thinking? You idiot. Why would you—" he paused, staring at her in confusion. That bullet was meant for him. "Why?" he repeated, but he knew the answer.

Because for some reason that he couldn't wrap his head around, she cared about him.

I didn't deserve her.

She looked down at her shoulder, watching the blood darken her shirt.

"Hey, look at me," he said softly.

"You can heal me, can't you?" she asked weakly.

"I— I can't," he replied. "I don't know how."

"I trust you," she said, meeting his eyes.

You shouldn't have. You would've been okay if not for me.

He held his hands against her shoulder as he focused hard on stitching up the damage the bullet had caused, reattaching muscle fibers and pulling the pieces of her shoulder blade back together. With the sleeve of his jacket clenched between her teeth, she threw her head back and screamed in agony.

I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.

He could feel her growing weaker, her breathing ragged and heart pacing too fast as she writhed.

"Stay with me," he pleaded, cupping her cheek in his hand.

"You want me to stay?" she asked quietly, looking up at him.

He nodded. "Please."

"Then you shouldn't have left."

A high pitched ring reached his ears and he opened his eyes with a gasp, staring at the ceiling as he caught his breath.

He was still in the mansion's stark white bedroom, brightly lit by the late morning sun. His heart was pounding, but it felt much stronger than it had the night before.

Chloe was fast asleep beside him, facing away.

I hope she doesn't mind I slept here, he thought.

His white shirt was damp with sweat, clinging to his skin as he slowly peeled the sheets away and sat up.

I need a shower.

The bathroom across the hall was fully stocked as it had always been, with an array of various toiletries and a cabinet full of clean white towels. Ever since she'd opened her home to the other Talents, Alyssa had always made sure to keep every necessary amenity — and a few frivolous ones — prepped and ready for new arrivals.

The hot water felt glorious, washing away the stress for a few precious minutes of peace. He dried off and wrapped the towel around his waist, brushing his teeth and then bundling his clothes under his arm before he returned to the room.

The bed was sloppily made, and Chloe was gone. His first thought was that she'd gone ahead with her own plan without him.

He tossed his laundry and towel on the chair and quickly opened the dresser drawers, sifting through the various clothing to find something to wear. The only pants long enough to fit him were gray sweats. He tossed them on the bed behind him, along with a white t-shirt and a pair of boxer briefs.