Part 22

WARNER

Roderick has a bloody rabbit in his mouth.

Show off, I think at him. He huffs out a laugh around his catch, lying down in the damp leaves to feast.

My brother can't actually read my mind in wolf form. At least that's what he claims. But, as pack leader, one of the extra enhancements is to get impressions from pack members. He might not hear exact words, but he can pick up intent.

While he eats, I take another few minutes to sprint through the underbrush, stretching muscles that will shift into different shapes when I change back.

Tonight, despite it still being weeks from the full moon, I'm overflowing with energy.

Likely left over from the afternoon spent watching football with Zoey. Days may have passed since she lounged on my couch, cheering touchdowns and chugging Dr. Peppers, but I can still smell hints of her in my apartment.

That's made for some erotic dreams.

My wolf impulses keep pushing me to make a move, but my human brain knows I can't just walk up to her and say "Be mine."

I need to woo her.

And in order to do that without appearing obsessed, I need to work off my excessive energy and lust.

Luckily, Roderick was available and willing to go on a run with me tonight. When I circle back to him, we head for our bikes.

Pulling on the thread in my mind that ties me to my human self, shadows shift around me as my bones flex and reform. Joints crack, muscles stretch, and I shake off the small aches and pains of the change.

When I stand as a man again, I feel more centered. My thoughts are clearer, and I'm able to plot how to approach my crocheting temptress.

Heading back to town, Roderick and I rev our engines and let our choppers devour the black top. My mind is so focused on how to pursue Zoey, I almost miss the familiar truck parked in a gravel lot on the side of the highway. If it had been any darker, I might have ridden straight past without giving it a second thought. But the faded rust color and particular shaped dent in the bumper catch my attention.

Zoey is out in the middle of nowhere, and the sun is about to set.

Roderick is ahead of me, taking point like he always does. Doesn't matter if it's the whole club riding, or just the two of us like tonight. We haven't gotten to ride together, just us brothers, for a while. I hate to cut it short. Still, there's no way I can head back to town with this rising curiosity threatening to drown out all other thoughts.

I accelerate, coming level with my brother and catching his eye. Using hand signals, I let him know what I intend to do before slowing to pull a U-turn and heading back to the truck. A lot of people would probably be surprised to discover a biker gang where every member has a basic knowledge of American Sign Language. But that's just another one of Roderick's protective instincts showing. Or his paranoia. He doesn't want to rely on radios while we're riding, and so insisted everyone learn.

Worked out in our favor though, seeing as how we were able to add a werewolf to our pack that had struggled in other places because he lost his hearing before aging into his powers. We're deaf friendly, and it got us a tech genius.

When I shut my engine off, Roderick is just pulling in beside me. I wait for him to cut his, too. The silence of the night is shocking without the roar of our bikes. It's only after the ringing in my ears fades that the chorus of the forest filters in and the surroundings don't seem so quiet.

"You can keep going. That's Zoey Gunner's truck. I want to see why she's out here."

Roderick has his stoic statue face on. "Why?"

I climb off my bike. "She's a city girl. Want to make sure she hasn't gotten lost in the woods."

Plus, I've been craving the sight of her since the moment she left my apartment. I didn't know who to thank for my luck when she asked to stay and watch the game with me. During commercial breaks I got her talking, picking up small facts about her life. Now I know she works remotely as a website designer, which means she can stick around Pine Falls as long as she has internet access. I paid close attention to every fact she let drop about her brothers. When I meet her family, I want them to like me, so the more I know the better.

Yeah, that's presumptuous. But my wolf and I are in full agreement. Zoey Gunner is something special and missing out on a chance with her would haunt me.

Unfortunately, she only stayed until the end of the game. The past couple of days have been longer than usual at work, meaning I couldn't figure out a way to casually run into her around town.

But this? It's more than just trying to set up an accidental meeting. I'm legitimately worried about Zoey getting turned around in the unfamiliar area.

Pine Falls is different than Denver. Wilder.

I would know. I'm one of the monsters that lurks in these woods.