Part 59

WARNER

Other than some briefs, I'm bare to the chill autumn night. Not that the cold bothers me much. I run hot. We all do. Still, I'd rather be almost all the way to naked in Zoey's cabin than out here behind The Rabbit Hole.

But she won't be safe until this is over.

Plus, I plan on heading to her place after this. I just need to make sure not to get too bloody or bruised. My goal is to keep this challenge in the pack. No reason for Zoey to know.

I think I can pull it off, especially because for this challenge, we're remaining in human form.

Fights in wolf form are usually fights to the death. Those are for serious crimes and would mainly be Roderick's responsibility.

But Ross's decision to fuck with Zoey is a different kind of crime.

And that's where wolves differ from humans.

If a human man approached Zoey the way Ross did, with the same outcome of no one being physically hurt, then the police would do shit about it. Human law doesn't seem to understand how minds work. How intimidation can take away someone's sense of safety. How insults can fester and turn into violence.

I won't let Ross retaliate against Zoey. If he wants violence, then I'll be the one to give it to him.

I bounce on the balls of my feet and shake out my arms, warming up my muscles. All the while, I watch Ross across the clearing.

He's laughing with a couple of the other young pack members.

He still isn't taking this seriously.

The challenge might have surprised him—they don't happen too often—but I can tell he thinks this is going to be like a normal weekend brawl between two wolves that've had too much to drink. A situation he finds himself in almost every other night.

Ross thinks because I like to smile and laugh that I'll be easy enough to beat.

And I realize how little my pack knows me.

I've grown up in Pine Falls, been around these people my whole life, and they still only see what I want them to.

Suddenly, Roderick is in front of me. "He's vain. Probably go for a roundhouse to show off. But I've seen him land it." My brother's arms are crossed over his chest, and he stares down at me. He has maybe three inches on me, but the power pressing off him always seems to add an extra foot.

"You worried about me?" I give him a casual grin that covers the urge to scowl.

He snorts. "Try not to mess him up too bad. If Ross can't run tomorrow, he'll be hell to have around for the next month."

Roderick knows me.

He can see my fury under my joking veneer. He's also my regular sparring partner when both of our wolves are restless.

My brother knows how fast I am. How good I am at landing a punch.

But even he doesn't understand fully what Zoey means to me. What I'll do for her.

"We'll see," is all I say.

Roderick stares a moment longer before giving the barest hint of a nod and striding out into the middle of the clearing. All side conversations halt. The pack leader holds attention without effort.

When our father died, the pack was left without a head wolf. The next mantel could have gone to anyone in the pack. There's no inheritance rule. It's all tied up in a magical force. A lot of people expected our mom or Uncle Mason to be the next leader. But almost immediately, a change came over Roderick. Already six foot three, he seemed to grow taller, tower above everyone else. He was eighteen, barely an adult, but still had people turning to him.

The responsibility fell on his shoulders to care for the Pine Fall wolves, and I have never seen him falter.

But he also changed that day, and I couldn't help feeling like I somehow lost my brother. Or, at least, the slightly more carefree version I'd grown up with.

He belongs to more than just my family now.

"Challenge has been declared. Offense given and threats made toward a resident of Pine Falls." Roderick's eyes flick over to me, the only warning before he tacks on an extra bit to the charge. "And a potential future mate."

"What?" Ross shouts as I try to keep all shock off my face.

The pack leader basically just gave his blessing for me to officially pursue Zoey. I thought I was going to have to put up a hell of an argument to even get him to listen to me.

It's not unheard of for a werewolf to take a human mate, we'd probably die out if we didn't, but it's rare and usually the human has been around wolves for most of their lives. They aren't outsiders, like Zoey.

What could've changed my stubborn brother's mind?

"This is bullshit," Ross growls. There's wariness in his eyes. He thought this was a fight over him insulting my friend. Not my mate. Even the most easy-going wolf will tear out someone's throat when it comes to protecting their partner. "How was I supposed to know?"

"Maybe you should stop being a dick to all women. Just to be safe." This comment comes from a spectator. I glance over to see Courtney has backed her pickup to the edge of the woods, dropped the tailgate, and unfolded a lawn chair in the bed of the truck. She raises her beer. "Go get 'em, Warner! Rip off a limb!"

"Hey!" Ross glares at her.

She smirks right back before chanting, "Less hands, less ass grabbing! Fuck him up!"

There are snickers from some of those assembled. Mainly the females. Looks like Ross doesn't have many fans among the women of our pack.

Challenges are rare occurrences. Too many indicate instability in a pack. I can't help wondering how many women Ross has harassed enough to make them feel uncomfortable, but not enough for them to think it worth a formal challenge.

I wonder how many here wish they could swap places with me.

Even more of a reason not to hold back.