Chapter 4

A sweet, dark, rich and round melody catches my eyes and I walk through the corridor in search of the music room. Turning to my right I move to the end towards the door of the melodious sound. The sound was slow and calm but it was catching speed every second. At some point it reached the point where I needed to cover up my ears but this sound was the same. It was like it was in my head. The door made a loud voice as I opened it and shouted, "Stop it! It's noisy." The voice vibrated in the deserted room. Silence surrounds the air and the only voice was the air passing through the curtains. No one was there playing the piano. I stood still, evaluating my thoughts as I was certain that I heard the melody played on a piano.

   Still breathing the Oriental lilies in the air, I felt a hand on my collar. I was dragged before I got the chance to even turn behind. I was dragged through the stairs and was thrown on the terrace. Steve was standing beside me leaning against the wall. He takes a full dose of his cigarette and exhales the smoke which mixes in the air. The person who pulled me was Jake. He smirked and cracked his knuckles. "You tried to deny my orders back then. You got some nerves, huh," he said and kicked my back, forcing me to growl. He was about to hit me when someone held his hand. Mr Jacos was standing there.

   "Stop it," Mr Jacos shouted, "Jake and Steve. You have to come with me to the principal's office." Everyone was surprised by his sudden occurrence as no one would have imagined him coming to the terrace but then I saw the image of a shadow emerging through the staircase and running towards. Christie and Mr Jacos helped me to get up from the ground. Christie always makes it on time somehow. Why are you like this Christie?

   "Does it hurt," she asked. I shook my head and smiled. Mr Jacos took his leave with Steve and Jake after hearing knowing that I was fine

   "No, it's fine. Thanks to you," I said and we both chuckled. I accepted the hand that she offered and stood up. We were walking through the corridor when we saw Rollie there. He raised his hand and called for us.

   "What's up dude. Something's up," he asked and I shook my head. "There's obviously something going on. Liam was also quiet, I mean he is like that but more recently."

   Rollie sure had sharp eyes and was a keen observer. "Rollie, I'll explain it to you later," Christie said and walked towards the cafeteria where Liam was sitting alone on one chair scrolling through his phone. We all grabbed one chair beside him. He checked by looking above his phone but didn't move his head even a bit.

   "What do you all want, I'll bring it," Rollie asked.

"I'll have a sandwich and chocolate shake," Christie said and looked at me and Liam for us to order something.

   "I don't want anything," I said and shook my head while waving both of my hands in disapproval.

"I'm not in the mood," Liam said without averting his gaze from his phone.

   "Okay so, Ethan will have cold coffee and a pastry and Liam is having his protein bar with his healthy banana shake," Christie said which made Liam finally look away from his phone and stare at Christie. "You should eat something Liam."

"I'm just bringing. You will have to pay," Rollie said and left the three of us. Christie puffed at his words and sighed.

   "Why isn't Emily here," I asked out of the blue as she was missing. Christie dropped her eyes. Two minutes of silence stretched and I stared at Liam's movement as he rotated his phone in his hands.

"She has hemophobia and necrophobia so she was still traumatized by yesterday's incident and preferred to stay at home," Liam said, impatient by the silence.

   "I didn't want to force her so I let it go," Christie's voice sounded apologetic.

"I didn't know she had Hemophobia and what's the other? Well would anyone want to tell me about it," Rollie suddenly said from behind me, shocking me. 'You are a scaredy cat Ethan." I deadpan him and he puts the trays on the table while chuckling. "Now, will anyone," he asked again and sat in his chair.

   "Yesterday when we were going home, Me, Emily and Liam; we saw a crowd on the ground. It was weird and we all went to see it. But it was completely out of our imagination," I said. I turned my gaze to find Liam and Christie intensely staring at me. "It was a dead girl found on the ground. We were all shocked. Emily was the most affected and on top of that she had Hemophobia and necrophobia making her condition worse so she is staying home for now. She is traumatized."

   Everyone was silent and the only sound in the cafeteria was of the students gossiping about the latest hot news.

"Why not forget it and discuss something else," Christie suggested. She knew at the right time what to do and what to say. Maybe that's why I love her. No, I fell in love with her in just 3 to 4 months and I'm deeply falling more.

                                                                                           ⧫ ⧫ ⧫

"How was your quiz," dad asked while scrolling his phone. My hand paused mid air and kept the spoon on my plate. Bubbles full of excitement filled my chest.

   "It was great. My team got selected for the national level and what was amazing was that I gave the last ans-," I was interrupted by my mom's words.

"Ethan it's good that you are going for nationals but have you decided which university you will go to after high school," mom said and took her seat across from me. My hand turned into a fist and I shook my head. She sighed and shouted, "After a few months the registration for university application will start. You need to decide soon. When are you going to be more serious and focus on your studies!""

   I nodded and silence filled the dining table. It was broken by the echoing of footsteps. Granny entered the room and refilled the bowl of lentils and patted my head. "Isn't it great that you are selected for the nationals," she said and just then mom received a message and she quickly showed it to dad who paused eating and took the phone from mom and left the table.

"Is something wrong mom," I asked. Mom shook her head and left a heavy sigh.

   "I'm full and leave some food for Levis, granny. Maybe he'll eat after the phone call," mom said and left the kitchen.

"Looks like your mother is pretty busy and stressed. Don't take her words to heart," granny said and hummed in response. Again the room was filled with silence as granny left the dining room. I sighed and granny entered the room with two cups and sit beside me. She poured tea in two cups and shoveled one cup in my direction. "Is there something you're not telling me Ethan," she asked.

   I looked at her to find any clue to what she was asking. Was it about the dead girl?

"You are getting beat up almost everyday. Is someone bullying you? If yes you can tell me, there's no need to hide it," she said and rubbed my hand on mine. It was warm and my heart felt touched with her concerning words. I was somewhat relaxed after knowing that it was not about the dead girl.

   I smiled and shook my head. "No one is bullying me. It was once that I got involved in a fight with someone. Others are accidents. That school sure has a jinx for me," I said and grabbed my cup of tea and sipped half of the tea at once.

"If something happens be sure to tell me and don't worry about your quiz. I know you better than anyone that you have a habit of stressing,"

   I chuckled and nodded at her words and left the dining room as soon as I finished my tea. The door knob was cold under my hands and I stood looking at it. I remember the uncertainty of my words on granny's smile. She might hide her concern but she knows that I was lying. I'm sorry granny, I can't tell you anymore. I push open the door and close it behind me and jump on my bed to get rid of the thoughts from my head.

   Christie:

You want to go to the nearby mountain. We planned a picnic there to get rid of all the things happening currently.

Everyone's coming. Be sure to answer me as soon as possible.

   Notification of Christie's message pops up on my phone and I smile at the idea. It's like she read my mind. Exactly what I needed, to get out of everything.