Chapter 6

'9 Missed calls from Christie'

She called me nine times. Something must be off. I should see her in school.

I shoveled my phone inside my pocket and rushed to the school. While going through the halls the thought of Christie was scaring me. I opened the door of my classroom and scanned the room to find the person I was looking for. My toes were aching from standing on them but finding Christie was the main goal. Hurriedly I zoomed the class but soon lowered myself down due to the fact Christie was not there.

"Looking for someone Ethan?" A mysterious voice asked from behind me. I turned around and saw Arthur standing there.

I shook my head and replied, "Oh no, nothing really Arthur," I said and hurriedly ran up to my desk. I put my bag and searched for someone else from our group and saw Liam entering the room. His hands were in his and as he entered all girls were looking at him. "Liam, I have something to ask," I said.

He took the desk beside me and stretched his legs. "Dude at least let me sit," he said and took out his phone from his pocket. "Continue Ethan," Liam said while scrolling through his phone. I was worried and didn't know how to say it. Either I was overthinking or I don't know this weird feeling.

"Before you say something. Yesterday Christie called me many times. Like 5 times I guess. Was it with you too? She didn't pick up my phone when I called her and I haven't received any message back," he said and looked at me confused. I was trembling due to the bad feeling I was having.

What if something happened to her? I can't stay here.

I tried to run away however I bumped into someone. A yelp escaped her lips and I saw it was Emily. I crouched down and held her shoulders. I didn't know I was violently shaking her because of this uneasy feeling I was having. "Emily! Where's Christie," I asked her while shaking.

"Stop it Ethan," Liam said and pulled me away from Emily.

"I don't know. I was going to ask you the same question. She called me yesterday many times and didn't pick up when I called back," Emily finished breathlessly.

I shook my head in disbelief and got off the ground to run away from the room at the same moment if it wasn't for Liam to stop me. "Stop it Ethan. Everyone's looking at you," I stopped struggling and noticed everyone's gaze on me. "Calm down. We'll go to her house after school. Now's not the right time for it. Also the teacher is here," Liam whispered into my ear. I couldn't do anything except nodding slowly.

Emily was concerned. Her hands were shaking in fear. I sensed that she was having the same feeling as me. Everyone in the class was whispering until the teacher entered and everyone took their seat including us.

Every passing minute was increasing my fear and this uneasy feeling. The class was moving slower than the other days or so I thought. Nothing except for the thoughts of Christie were roaming in my head.

What if she dies? What if someone killed her.

I lost all my energy to identify the voice but the words were continuously roaming in my head. There was no guarantee that the thoughts were fake but there was not a possibility that they were real.

I was hitting my pen against the table continuously the whole time until the bell rang. I rushed outside with my bag back without turning back. I heard footsteps rushing towards me and I stopped near the corner when I saw Rollie standing there.

"Bro, where are you rushing to? Something's the matter," he asked.

"Don't you know? Didn't Christie call you yesterday," I asked, shocked at his easy going behavior.