6

Three days later, after many security procedures and precautions had been set in place, the people of Stark County were getting even more suspicious. A lot of pressure was being put on Ronnie Anne, and she was handling it fairly well. However, if people started to get angry about Ronnie Anne's reticence, she didn't know how much more she could take. She approached Lincoln one day while he was sitting on a park bench. She knew he was there because Lincoln always went to the park on Monday mornings. He was taking breadcrumbs from a bag and throwing them to a small group of ducks. "Lincoln, it's nice seeing you here. You know you're not supposed to feed the ducks, right?" she asked him. Instead of responding, he kept feeding the ducks. "Listen, I really need to talk to someone... and I feel like you would be the most help. It's about my position as mayor. I'm trying to keep the whole 'scary vampires are killing people in our town' thing a secret, but the more safety procedures I put in place, the more suspicious people get. They think I'm prepping them for war or something. They're starting to not trust me, I think. The problem is, if I tell them that there really are vampires in our town, will they all panic? I need your help. I've always done things alone and this is the first time that as mayor... I need someone else's help. You're the one who seems to know the most about vampires! I mean, you killed all of them in the town hall that day! So, what do you think? What should I do?" Lincoln kept throwing crumbs to ducks; listening, but thinking rather than speaking. Finally, after all the ducks are full and they depart, he focuses on Ronnie Anne.

"Mayor," he starts before Ronnie Anne cuts him off: "Please, call me Ronnie," she pleads. "Right. Ronnie, I don't know what help I can be. I know how to kill them, and I can do it well, but I'm not a politician. I don't know how to make decisions like that. That's why you're the mayor and I'm not. If you ask me, it seems if your people start to hate you, you might as well give them the truth. If the truth scares them really bad, then it's your primary job to make them feel safe. That's my thoughts." he says. She laughs, but it's not exactly a happy laugh. "A politician that tells the truth," she says. "That would be a first." They both laugh. Then Ronnie Anne gives a serious look to Lincoln. "Thanks, Lincoln. It just gets scary sometimes. Actually... would you want to get food sometime? Maybe we could have dinner at Chiffcock's Wine and Bread House?" He crumples up the bag of breadcrumbs and stuffs it into his pocket. "If you buy me a cigarette, then sure." She rolls her eyes at him. "Dear god, you ever think about quitting?" He stood up off the bench. "I told you already. It keeps me focused. How about tonight? Can Ms. Mayor find it in her busy schedule for us to meet tonight?" She nods. "Yeah. I don't even have to check, cause I already did before I left. I was actually anticipating us going tonight so... it works out." Lincoln gives her a thumbs-up and starts walking off. He calls out: "I'll see you there. Just don't wear green. I hate green."

The rest of their days were empty, as Ronnie Anne did nothing but wait for their rendezvous, while Lincoln searched for vampires the whole time and found nothing. Though they hadn't planned an exact time, they both arrived at Chiffcock's about the same time, with Lincoln showing up ten minutes later than Ronnie Anne. "Wow, I forgot how fancy this place was. Did they redecorate?" She giggles. "Of course it's fancy! And yes, they did redecorate. By the way, I'm paying, so don't worry about that. Let's go in and find a seat." They enter the restaurant and on the inside the walls are a dark brown wood, with tables enveloped in a white tablecloth, each either seating two or six people. Regardless of their seating capacity, they're all lined with cider-scented candles, a jar with a rose inside, and napkins and silverware. Lincoln always ate at local sandwich shops and fast food, so to eat at a place like this—let alone be inside—was completely new territory. He was unsure of how to act, as he'd never been someplace requiring manners. So, mistaking politesse and dignity for reservedness, he stays relatively quiet. They both sit down at a small two-seated table near the center of the room. Ronnie Anne sighs. "Finally, I get to relax. I'm glad we're..." She doesn't finish her sentence because she sees Lincoln, who seems to be staring at something behind him. "Hey," he says, "what's that guy's deal?" She looks over and sees a man by the restroom doors leaning on the wall. He looks on edge, and from what she can make out, it seems his eyes are looking right over at them. "I don't know. Try and ignore it." But her words held poorly, as the man straightened himself and started walking over.