Reaped

The morning of the 65th reaping, I was vigorously shaken awake by my father, twenty minutes before we had to leave. On my bed was a silk dress that, in a gentle breeze, emulated the waves hitting the shoreline. It was beautiful. My hair was braided and woven around my head, and my mother put a layer of ever so subtle makeup on my eyes, cheeks and lips. We left our house with five minutes to spare for once.
On the way to the square we met the Odairs, and Finnick at once said how beautiful I looked. He had been saying it far more often lately. It gave me a fuzzy feeling to be complimented by him.
As usual, we had our fingers pricked, and took our places, hand in hand, staring up at the stage, as Harley stepped up. To the right of her was a hoard of peace keepers, to her left, a row of past victors, now mentors. An elderly woman was looking daggers at Harley: I recognised her as Mags, victor of the eleventh games - I had always liked her. There were stories to the lines on her face, and although she didn't speak, I could tell she was kind. Part of me, I suppose, liked her for hating that Capitol witch, Harley. I couldn't stand that woman, and neither could Mags, so she couldn't be all that bad.
'Today marks the most exciting event of the year, outside of the actual games of course. The reaping symbolises that which we will always owe to the capitol! It is by this decision every year that we show them our unwavering loyalty. Good luck, and may the odds be ever in your favour! Now, as usual, ladies first. The female tribute for district four will be....'
I held my breath in anticipation.
'Guinevere Barrow!'
The odds were not in her favour. Murmurs ran around the entire square. It was rare that somebody was chosen twice.
This time however, there was no timidity as she strutted up to the stage, and fiercely grasped Harley's hand. She yelled to the crowd
'District Four will win once more!'.
Harley beamed.
'Such spirit! I can only hope the boys will produce such a charismatic tribute!'
She said, crossing to the second bowl.
'The male tribute for district four is...'
There was a prolonged silence whilst she rummaged through the bowl, before finding a slip that satisfied her. She plucked it out with a motion as swift as spearing a fish.
'Finnick Odair!'.
What? The world became a mass of dull noise and overbearing colour. My grip tightened on his hand. There must be a mistake. No Annie, there's no mistake. He was chosen. I felt myself clinging to him as he buried his face in my hair. As I grabbed on even tighter, he began to murmur to me.
'It's alright. I'll be alright. Don't worry. It's ok.'
Soon, the peace keepers were wrestling me off him, and marching him up to the stage. He looked back at me.
'Your sister?' Chuckled Harley.
'No. My... friend' replied My Finnick.
'I see. Cheer up Mr... Odair. With your breathtaking looks, you won't be short of sponsors!'
Someone has to volunteer, I thought. He can't go to the games. No fourteen year old has ever won.
'Now I must ask, do we have any volunteers?'
The silence baffled me. Nobody wanted to take his place. Strange. He didn't look scared. He must have known that his performance began there and then. He took Harley's hand, and with wide eyes, stared at me, locking gazes, as her shrill voice cut through the silence.
'May the odds be ever in your favour.'

~~~
A few hours later and, after his parents and younger sister, I was the last one to be admitted to say goodbye. I was still in a state of shock. I walked in to see him standing there, with not a tear on his perfect face. He said nothing, but embraced me, clasping my head to his chest and nuzzling his face into the top of my head again. He couldn't be seen to cry for the cameras.
'You silly boy,' I wept, 'this is all because you took out those tesserae to get me the Chilacros, isn't it? Your name was in there so many times!'
'It was worth it for you.'
'No it wasn't because I can't see you die!'
'I won't. I'll win this - because I have to. I have to see you again. Annie?' He said, tilting my head up to meet his sea green gaze with my own.
'Yes?'
'Look, I may die out there, and if I do, there's something I'd never forgive myself for not acting on.'
He titled his head to the side, and slowly bent towards me. I had about three seconds to react, for I knew what he was doing, but there was no way I wanted to stop it. As his lips softly touched mine, I leant towards him, opening my mouth slightly. The kiss was short but tender, as he did not know if it was something I wanted. Reaching up, I took his face in my hand. Felt his perfect jaw, and lost myself in the currents in his sea eyes. He leant down again, and this time the kiss lasted longer. It was still restricted by the limitations of our immaturity, but it was beautiful and right and magical.
My head was spinning. I couldn't believe Finnick felt this way about me.
'I... I didn't know you saw me as anything more than a friend... I-'
'I didn't for a long, long time.' He replied. 'You crept up on me.'
He gently wiped a tear off my cheek, and kissed my forehead softly, as the peacekeepers knocked smartly on the door to signal that my time was up.
'Until I see you again, My Annie Cresta.'
I nodded, and our hands touched until the moment I left the door.
That evening, as I let all my tears flow in preparation for the next day, and seeing him in the Capitol, I sat alone, eating the last Chilacro from the bag that had sustained me through the last time I was away from him. What would sustain me now?