Their Confessions

Sonic and Amy laid in an open field under the stars. The small fire emits a gentle crackling sound as the two of them point at the shapes and star constellations they can see, even though Sonic wasn't the most enthusiastic about the activity, it made Amy happy and helped pass the time which wasn't the worst thing he could think of as he listens to Amy list off another constellation she had just spotted.

"Oh, I can see Orion right over that mountain!" Amy pointed at a nearby mountain top, her eyes gleaming with excitement.

"What's the story on that one again?" Sonic asked as he tilted his head confused.

"It was named after a giant huntsman of Greek Mythology, at least that's the simple way of explaining it."

Amy turned her head over to Sonic, she just groaned with amusement as she could tell Sonic was struggling to keep track of all her star constellation talk. She swiftly looked back up at the sky, her smile beginning to dissipate, she couldn't help but still feel somber about the whole situation that surrounded them. The strong desire to finally get out what she wanted to say back at the clearing, an event that felt like it happened a lifetime ago. That feeling of finding her best friend so this living hell could finally end, Sonic didn't even need to turn to face Amy as she knew what was going through her head.

"We're gonna get her back you know, Shay is not gonna get away with what he's done. Then we can go back home and live our lives again."

"I'm not worried about getting Sticks back." Amy sighs as looked at Sonic. "Remember how back before this all started, I asked if we could hang out at the clearing?"

"We always hang out at the clearing." Sonic said confused.

"I-I know, but-."

Amy kept fumbling her words, her heart felt like it wanted to burst from her chest as she closed her eyes in an attempt to gather the courage to admit the truth. Her head turned back up towards the sky, her eyes remained shut as she took a large deep breath, she finally opened her eyes. And once the words started, they couldn't stop.

"The reason......I asked if we could meet at the clearing that night......was because I was gonna tell you how I really felt about you."

The ponding in Amy's chest became louder and more intense, but she pressed onward regardless as in her mind, it was now or never. She didn't wish to leave it unsaid if the unimaginable were to occur the next morning.

"When we were little, it started out as just some silly kid crush, the ones that don't actually mean anything since we're like......8 years old. But as the years went by, even as we were dealing with the uncertainty of life and the new place, we decided to call our home. That feeling never really went away......in fact......it actually got stronger if I'm being honest."

Sonic didn't dare try and react, he just continued laying down as he looked over at Amy, he could see a few tears well up and start streaming down the sides of her head as she continued looking up towards the sky. Absolutely terrified of ever glancing over at the blue hedgehog that laid mear inches next to her.

"I think it was about a year ago that I realized this wasn't just some silly kid crush anymore, and decided I should probably say something. At first, I was scared of ruining the team dynamic, as we had finally gotten ourselves together and it felt like things were okay again. But then I was scared of ruining our friendship......after all, we started the team all those years ago.... you and I are kinda the originals." Amy chuckled as she spoke that last part. "I've never really gotten over what Shay did to us, I don't think about it often but when I do, it's always just as I feel like I can FINALLY tell you how I really feel.......but then I end up just chickening out because if our friendship ends......that means what we started all those year ago is truly gone.......a-and....I don't want that."