prologue

Nothing was normal about this day - the Gods all seemed perturbed by some message they had received from the Fates and Zeus was angry that he wasn't the ultimate authority in the room since apparently, Khaos, yes, that Khaos, the Creator of the Un...

Nothing was normal about this day - the Gods all seemed perturbed by some message they had received from the Fates and Zeus was angry that he wasn't the ultimate authority in the room since apparently, Khaos, yes, that Khaos, the Creator of the Universe, the most powerful entity in the entire cosmos had decided to move back to Earth and shake things up a bit.

If only that could have happened after the Winter Solstice, it would have been perfect.

Now, the demigods were all stuck in the throne room with their godly parents, uncles and cousins, waiting for the primordial to finally explain what she was truly doing here instead of babbling about the eons of her existence. Of course, a certain son of Poseidon was too curious for his own good.

"Um, my Lady," he started, noticing how everyone tensed around him. Apparently, even Zeus seemed worried about what Khaos might do to him if she considered that interrupting her was a sign of insolence. "I am not trying to be disrespectful or anything, but...what are we doing here ?"

She turned around to look at him, focusing eerily on his hair. He had always had trouble taming it, something he hadn't gotten from the God of the Sea; his mother always smiled whenever he mentioned it. But it wasn't a happy smile like the ones he was used to - rather, she looked like she was remembering someone she had lost and loved and he always couldn't help but feel guilty afterwards. Sally Jackson was a unique woman; there wasn't anyone who doubted it.

After all, how many mortal women could pretend they had captured the heart of a God so thoroughly that he ended his marriage with his immortal wife? He had been but a child at the time, but he knew it had severe consequences, most of them he still wasn't even aware of. And yet, it hadn't been enough for Poseidon to prove his undying loyalty to her: she had still refused his love and the proposal to be turned into a Goddess and spend eternity with him.

Still, his father, whom he had only met when he turned twelve, showed his affection towards him whenever he had the opportunity. Maybe he saw the shade of the woman he loved more than anything in him or he cherished the boy who had come from their union, but Percy had never doubted the love Poseidon had towards him.

"You've always been told that you look like your father," said Khaos, looking at him in the same way his mother did. Like he was a ghost tormenting her, a living and breathing memory of a lost companion.

Percy was flustered. He had thought this conversation would go in so many ways, but he had certainly not thought they would talk about his physical appearance. "Don't I?," he asked, remembering each time his mother had commented on his sea green eyes.

The primordial shook her head vehemently, as if aghast that some people might consider that father and son looked alike. He didn't know if he was to feel offended or not; and especially, he didn't know if he wanted to know who he looked like.

"Aside from your eyes, you are the spitting imagine of your grandfather."

Percy shrieked audibly, almost throwing up at the idea of looking remotely like Kronos. The Elder Gods didn't seem to share her opinion. If he was to be compared to one of his grandparents, it would be Rhea with whom he shared the same unique eye color and the tanned skin complexion.