13. nick & other residents

[Later, when all of the first years were sorted in their houses, all of the students were talking to each other

[Later, when all of the first years were sorted in their houses, all of the students were talking to each other. McGonagall dings on a cup.]

McGonagall: Your attention, please.

Dumbledore: [rising from his chair] Let the feast... begin.

[From the aerial view of the Great Hall, food magically appears on all the tables, and the hall is filled with awe and chatter.]

Iolanthe: Wow.

[Draco looks at all the food, raises his eyebrows and digs in. Ron stuffs his face.]

Everyone laughed at Iolanthe's facial expression as well as Ron's reaction to the news: it was difficult not to feel amused when they literally saw the red-head almost drown in the food that had appeared in front of him.

"So nothing has changed in more than twenty years," muttered Hermione, rolling her eyes at her husband's manners. There was no doubt that she loved him, or else, she wouldn't have bothered as much as she already had.

Percy was looking at the tables and the food that had appeared as if it had been his dream. "Magic. Is. Amazing," he said, completely forgetting the fact both his aunts Hera and Hestia could achieve the same thing. It was just too different to ask Goddesses for food rather than seeing it materialize in front of him.

Seamus: I'm half and half. Me dad's a Muggle. Mam's a witch. Bit of a nasty shock for him when he found out.

Iolanthe winced – Seamus had been luckier than most. She couldn't help but think how bad things could have gotten: prime example? Severus Snape. He had been a bright student, and yet, the abuse he had been put through at home had turned him into a hateful and bitter man.

"Is it like the Greek world ?," asked Nico, a bit confused. "Why don't they tell them once there is a child involved?"

It was a good question, especially when they knew how bad mortals could react when they were hit with the knowledge they weren't as powerful as their significant other. "The laws are being changed, but yes, they could only be made aware once their child needed to go to Hogwarts," explained Hermione. Suffice to say a lot found ways to tell the truth to their partner and did everything they could so the Ministry didn't find out, but Muggleborns had Halfbloods had always been victims of the legislature of Magical Britain. "In the United States, wizards and witches aren't even allowed to marry a Muggle. Rappaport's Law enforces a strict segregation; which is why there are less magicals in the continent than in Europe."

[Neville laughs. Iolanthe is sitting next to Percy. She leans over.]

Iolanthe: Say, Percy, who's that teacher talking to Professor Quirrell?

Percy: Oh, that's Professor Snape, head of Slytherin house.

Iolanthe: What's he teach?

Percy: Potions. But everyone knows it's the Dark Arts he fancies. He's been after Quirrell's job for years.