19. quidditch

[The next morning, in the great hall

[The next morning, in the great hall. The gang is sitting, eating. Iolanthe is twirling his food on a fork.]

Ron: Take a bit of toast, mate, go on.

Hermione: Ron's right, Iolanthe. You're gonna need your strength today.

Iolanthe: I'm not hungry.

Sirius couldn't help but laugh merrily, remembering a few instances where James had been the exact same: it was daunting to see how much father and daughter were alike even though they had never met. It was also more tha depressing to be honest. "James would be so proud of you, I hope you know that."

As always when the subject of her parents was mentioned, Iolanthe tensed and focused on the screen. No one knew why she refused to speak about them, but they understood it wasn't the right time to ast the proper questions.

[Snape appears at the table.]

Snape: Good luck today, Potter. Then again, now that you've proven yourself against a troll, a little game of Quidditch should be easy work for you. Even if it is against Slytherin. [Snape walks off, limping. Iolanthe notices this.]

"Haters gonna hate," sassed Leo, already tired of Snape and his unnecessary comments. It was beyond pathetic to have some sort of feud with an eleven-year old abused child for some reason tha hadn't been disclosed yet.

Ron snorted. He hadn't felt sad about their former professor's death and it had taken him a while to explain to Iolanthe exactly why. Snape might have spent his life protecting the Girl-Who-Lived, but he had done nothing substantial aside from faking his allegiance. It might seem like a lot to people, but he couldn't think of him as a decent person: he was just a creepy old and bitter man who had never gotten over the fact Lily Evans hadn't loved him and had married James Potter, wonder boy of Gryffindor. It was his fault that she had died and yet, he had never tried to ease Iolanthe into this new world even as he knew how abusive the Dursleys could be.

Iolanthe: That explains the blood.

Hermione: Blood?

Iolanthe: Listen, last night, I'm guessing Snape let the troll in as a diversion so he could try and get past that 3 headed dog. But, he got himself bitten, that's why he's limping. He took my copy of Quidditch Throughout the Ages this morning and when I went to get it back, Filch was patching up his ankle.

Hermione: But why would anyone go near that dog?

Iolanthe: The day I was at Gringotts, Hagrid took something out of one of the vaults. He said it was Hogwarts' business, very secret.

Hermione: So you're saying...

Iolanthe: That's what the dog's guarding. That's what Snape wants.