⚖️/Chapter 22

And at that time, Neuvillette arrived at his office, seeing Wriothesley sitting there.
He locked the door and looked at him, his expression was as serious as ever. Would he have good news?...
____________________________

"Wriothesley, we have come to the conclusion that you can return to lead Meropide, as long as you no longer commit crimes."
Neuvillette said, looking at him as outside it started to rain. Neuvillette was feeling sad, and Wriothesley could notice that because of the rain, since he knew Neuvilette was the Hydro dragon.
He sat down next to Wriothesley and spoke.
"But... we won't be able to get married."

Wriothesley's face lit up when he heard that he was allowed to return to Meropide. However, his smile slowly disappeared when Neuvillette said that they can't be getting married.
"But why not, Neuvillette? I'll be a good husband... a good leader... I promise you, I'll do no more harm."
He looked at Neuvillette with a pleading look, as he wanted to know the reason why Neuvillette decided that they won't be getting married.

Neuvillette placed his hand on Wriothesley's cheek and sighed.
"I know, I'm not the one who decided this..."
He said.
"Fontaine does not allow marriages between immortals and mortals, imagine, you get older while I stay young..."

"I understand that... But, Neuvillette... I don't mind that I get older, and that I might outlive you if we get married. I want to marry you, and spend the rest of my life with you, no matter what..."
He gently placed his hand on Neuvillette's hand.
"Please... Please, Neuvillette... don't do this to me. I can promise I won't do any crimes anymore... Just let me marry you..."

Neuvillette sighed, the rain getting heavier.
"So... you want to break the rule with me?"

"Yes, Neuvillette... I want to break the rule with you... I want to spend the rest of my life with you."
He looked at Neuvillette with pleading eyes.
"I... I can't live without you, Neuvillette... So, please, please... break the rule with me..."

Neuvillette kissed Wriothesley lightly on the lips and smiled, the rain slowly stopping.
"So...if we get arrested for breaking the rule, let's go together."

Wriothesley's face lit up at Neuvillette's kiss and with the sight of the rain stopping.
"Deal! If we're getting arrested for breaking the rule, we'll go together."
He then kissed Neuvillette's cheeks and held Neuvillette's hand gently.
"We'll go to jail together, but as a married couple."
He said, smiling as he continued to hold Neuvillette's hand in his.

And so it was, that day, they broke the rule.
Yes, they both got married, and there is nothing Neuvillette could do about that rule, even though he was the Chief Justice of Fontaine.
Of course, they had both been stressed lately because of the rule breaking, but everything went well between their jobs.

Wriothesley had even introduced Neuvillette to Sigewinne, the nurse from the Fortress of Meropide, who was a rather smart little child, whom Wriothesley sometimes took care of.
Neuvillette also spoke to her sometimes, but it was rare. Now that both Neuvillette and Wriothesley got married, Neuvillette has become like a father to Sigewinne as well, even though Sigewinne already knew him. They were like parents to Sigewinne, as she liked both of them.

Both of their jobs went well, and they used to go out every night for dinner or something. (Although most of the time, they dined at the Fortress of Meropide, as Wriothesley didn't really like leaving Meropide.)

Everything went well for the first few days, until someone showed up at Neuvillette's office weeks later:
"Neuvillette, Chief Justice of Fontaine, and Wriothesley, Duke of the Fortress of Meropide. You both broke the rule, so you are an immortal and mortal couple, right?"
Said a police officer, who didn't seem very happy with the situation.

Neuvillette, who held a high position in Fontaine, thought the rule was stupid: It's as if they had an age difference problem, even though they were both adults.
"Yes, and as far as I know, I am the Chief Justice of Fontaine, why do I have to be sentenced to prison? I decide things here."
He said, his voice serious.

"It was Ms. Furina who said that this rule should exist, I just do my job."
The policeman said, looking at both Wriothesley and Neuvillette.

Wriothesley was confused as he looked at the police officer.
"What... what is going on? Why do we have to be imprisoned... just for loving each other?"
He was getting increasingly anxious.
"We're not doing anything wrong... We're just two adults, loving each other. What is there not to understand?"
He said to the police officer, his voice serious, as he knew that Neuvillette was the Chief Justice of Fontaine.

Before the policeman approached to take them to Meropide, Sigewinne appeared.
"Stop! They didn't do anything wrong, they take care of me... I don't want to be without parents."
She said, hugging the legs of both Neuvillette and Wriothesley.

The policeman still seemed determined to arrest both of them but the sight of a young child hugging on both of their legs made him hesitate. He didn't want to hurt the little girl, and she would have to stay there if he took them both away.

"She's a good kid."
Wriothesley told the policeman, his voice dripping with affection.

The policeman looked at them.
"I'm sorry sir, but that's not my problem. Your marriage is illegal, and I have to uphold the law."
He said with a stern look.

Neuvillette put his hand on Sigewinne's head and carresed it. He then looked at the policeman, his voice serious as always.
"I'm the Chief Justice of Fontaine, just because Ms. Furina created that law, could you really arrest me and my husband?"
He asked.
"Mr. Wriothesley is a good man, he works at the Fortress of Meropide, and I, Neuvillette, am the judge of the Court of Fontaine."

"I'm sorry Chief Justice, but your marriage is illegal. I can't let you get away with this. I'm very sorry, but you'll have to come with me."
The policeman said.

"And what will happen to Sigewinne? She's only a child."
Neuvillette said to the policeman, his tone was full of worry.

"Please, just let Sigewinne stay with Neuvillette and let Neuvillette go free. I'll take full responsibility of everything."
Wriothesley said, he didn't want his husband to be in trouble.

Neuvillette stopped for a second, he looked at Wriothesley, was his husband really willing to go arrested just to protect him and Sigewinne?
Well, maybe Wriothesley had another plan to escape from Meropide when he would get arrested.
"Wriothesley, are you sure about that?"

"Yes I am. You and Sigewinne don't deserve to be punished for my actions. I'll take full responsibility, so please let them go and just arrest me."
Wriothesley said with a kind smile, he was sure that he wanted this.

"You're really going to take full responsibility sir? If you say so... then I'll let them both go."
Said the policeman.

Wriothesley smiled.
"Thank you."
His eyes were filled with gratitude.

Neuvillette looked at the policeman, he asked something.
"Can I just talk to Wriothesley in private?"
He asked, his voice serious.

The policeman nodded.
"Yes, please go ahead. Sigewinne will stay here until you both return."
He said.

Wriothesley and Neuvillette went to the bathroom next to Neuvillette's office.
"Love, you have a plan to escape prison, right?"
Neuvillette asked, he was sure Wriothesley had something planned, since he barely accepted losing...