Chapter 4

"I quite like my helmet."

"Oh, this was the worst idea ever." Phoenix groaned, planting her head in her hands, turning to Rooster.

"I told you." Rooster commented.

"Shut up. No you didn't."

"Stop groaning. It's only making it worse." Rooster sighed.

The three pilots stood out on the tarmac, waiting for the others to trickle back.

The blond in front of them was googly-eyeing his new helmet.

"It's not my fault. Blame him." She pointed a thumb to Jake who turned his helmet to the side in awe.

Whether the astonishment was true or not, they weren't sure.

He smiled, looking at the dark gray and yellow helmet in his hands. "Whoever came up with the design, I love it."

Rooster pointed at Phoenix.

She jabbed him in side, "Thanks Rooster."

"You're welcome, Phe." He winked.

She rolled her eyes, walking away.

"Hey! Thanks for the helmet! And callsign!" Hangman called to her.

She turned around, "Yeah, you've said so many of times!"

He smiled.

"You know just how to push her buttons," He told him. "Do you do it on purpose?" He raised his brows.

Hangman clunked his helmet on the side of Rooster's head.

"Ow." He furrowed his brows, glaring at Jake as he rubbed his head.

"Baby." Hangman said, walking a couple steps ahead.

"Woo! That was a great flight! Coyote beamed, walking down the tarmac to meet Jake.

"Don't tell me you won." Rooster and Hangman said at the same time.

Coyote laughed. "Correct!" He said with a point of his finger, as if he was on a game show.

"You're kidding!" Jake laughed.

"I did, I did!" He grinned, giving him a high-five.

Rooster shook his head. "Right. Well while you two gossip about soaring through the air, I'm going to go get ready."

"Oh, you're too funny." The blond spat.

Rooster chuckled sarcastically. "I know I am, you don't have to tell me."

"Sounds like something you'd say." Coyote murmured.

"Oh, whatever." He rolled his eyes. "So how was the flight?" Jake changed the subject back, turning to Coyote as they started walking. "Was it actually good?"

He scoffed. "Yeah, it was good. I got him down all by myself." He said proudly.

"No shit."

Coyote laughed. "I'm pretty good with the solos."

"I haven't done my solo yet, they said I'm not scheduled for it today."

"Yeah, I heard you'll be doing it tomorrow. Who's today's flight with?"

"Chicken boy up there."

Coyote chuckled at his grumbling friend. "You'll be fine."

"You said that whenever I told you about Phoenix and she's quite ticked with me."

"And you're upset about that?" He raised a brow, a knowing look.

Jake rolled his eyes. "Yeah, whatever. Anyways, how many points did you get?"