Chapter 18: Wheeljack

Verdant was taking too long. Wheeljack thought as he slammed his sword through an infected vehicon and ripped through it's chassis.

He glanced back at her. She was still sitting on the ground, her body slumped against the wall and appendages attached to the screen next to the door. He could imagine that she was deeply locked in her work right now, but the vehicons were beginning to overtake them, especially since the Autobots had to limit theirselves to tactics that kept them away from the energon-sucking monsters.

"We have to pull her out," Wheeljack started. "We–"

"No," Ultra Magnus interrupted. "Now that she has gone gray, we cannot pull her out until she's done. It will damage her systems."

Wheeljack frowned. "Her systems are going to be damaged anyway if one of these creatures gets it's glossa on her. We can't– ugh!"

He whirled the vehicon that had grabbed him in a circle to avoid it's intake and then tossed it back at the group behind it. That wouldn't keep them down for long. Nothing kept them down.

"We can't hold them off much longer," Wheeljack finished.

"We must," Ultra Magnus repeated. "We can't leave until Verdant has left the systems or we will have sacrificed this opportunity for nothing."

"If she dies we will have sacrificed her for nothing!"

Ultra Magnus didn't respond for a moment. He was too busy grappling with a pair of vehicons. Wheeljack handed his sword to his other servo and shot one of them for the commander. He still had an agreement to uphold.

"When she lives and returns with the data, then we will have Bumblebee and Smokescreen back. It is paramount that–"

"Ultra Magnus," Optimus interrupted. "Wheeljack is right. We cannot keep this up much longer."

"If you pull her out—"

"She will live," Optimus said. "And so will everyone else. Wheeljack, prepare Verdant for a retreat."

Wheeljack put his swords away and shot blindly into the mass of vehicons before running into their circle of safety. He looked at Verdant's tentacles and grabbed them, hesitating for only a moment before pulling them out of the edges of the screen.

Verdant immediately onlined, optics flashing different colors erratically, her intake opening to release a pained scream. She ripped her servos away from the screen and shoved against him.

Wheeljack stumbled back in surprise. Verdant's body parts spasmed, and she hit the wall. Her face contorted with rapidly changing emotions and static erupted from a speaker on her arm.

"Verdant," Wheeljack reached out to grab her, but then she fell down.

Not the right kind of falling either. She was falling. A small groundbridge formed under her pedes and Verdant slipped into it.

"Fraggit!" Wheeljack yelled before jumping in after her.

The moment he could properly see the other side, something slammed into him. A pede. Wheeljack was kicked into a wall harshly and his helm shorted out.

He didn't think he was in stasis for long, but when he onlined his optics again, he was horrified. Verdant was laying on the ground, babbling weakly, and Soundwave was standing over her, his tentacles inserted into the place on her back where she kept her tentacles.