Chapter 76: Thanksgiving pt 2

I managed to escape from Loki's embrace and made my way over to the large congregation of people. Scott lit up as he saw me and took his little girl's hand, who was now standing beside him. He crouched down to her level and said something before she looked over at me.

"Ollie!" she exclaimed before running over to me and wrapping her arms around my torso.

"Oof," I gasped as she ran into me as I spent a moment being confused before wrapping my arms around her as well.

"Hello there Cassie," I said gently with a smile.

"You make my daddy happy. Thank you," she said as she let go of me, causing emotion to flood through my chest. I let myself drop to my knees to be on her level, much like Scott had.

"Did he tell you that?" I questioned and she nodded her head vigorously. "Well, he told me some things about you too," I said to her, and her face lit up. "Why don't you tell me about your pets?" I asked and she excitedly dove into telling me about her pet ants and all the information she possessed regarding them. I sat with Cassie for a good ten minutes before Scott and the rest of the group migrated over toward us.

"Hey princess," Scott said to Cassie causing her to look up excitedly at him.

"Hi daddy!" she exclaimed as she launched herself at him and wrapped her arms around him and didn't let go. I got off my knees and back onto my feet and was faced with who I imagined to be Cassie's mom, and her stepdad.

"Hello, I'm Maggie," the woman greeted me with a smile and an outstretched hand. I immediately took it and shook her hand.

"I'm Ollie," I introduced with a smile.

"And this is my husband, Jim," she motioned to him.

"It is a pleasure to meet you both!" I exclaimed truthfully.

Another thirty minutes of conversation passed before it was announced that dinner was done. I snagged myself a spot between Steve and Wanda, with Bucky on Steve's other side and Pietro on Wanda's other side.

"Hi Stevie," I said with a smile as I leaned my head on his shoulder as food was being passed around the table.

"Hi there darling. It's been a bit," he said, and I felt my heart constrict a bit.

"I know. I've missed you guys. I'm sorry we haven't really seen each other."

"It's okay, sweetheart. Cheer up now," he said as he lifted my head to face him. He caressed my face lightly and stared at me with his gorgeous blue eyes. "You have a lot going on," he motioned at the rest of the table. "Buck and I will be here, darling."

"I just feel bad that I don't really have time for all of you," I responded honestly.

"Baby girl," Steve frowned at me. "How about we talk after dinner, just you, me, and Buck?" he proposed. I nodded gently and he relinquished his caress. "We're here for you, Ollie."