Prologue

"How can you miss someone you've never seen? Tell me are your eyes brown, blue or green" - IDK You Yet

𓆰𓆪

Rainy streets glitter the atmosphere in the cold town known as Beaufort in North Carolina.
Kali drags her pile of empty cans in an old potato sack she found laying outside the bakery where she'd sit down hoping to get spare change or scraps at the end of the day.

"Sir could you-," before she could muster another word the old man pushed past her in a hurry to avoid any conversation.

With a deep heavy sigh Kali scurries on towards the bakery finding any sort of shelter from the heavy rain.

"Oh dear are you alright young miss?" Kali turns around to find a scrawny young lady facing her with a look of concern.

"I'm quite alright thank you". She whispers, turning away.

Kali knew these streets very well, for she had lived every second on the streets as a stray, she would always question how she ended up here, why she had to face these troubles alone. What did she do? On high alert Kali kept her guard up as she could hear footsteps behind her trying to keep pace.

Not long ago Kali had been through this moment barely escaping in time to see the rest of the public on the busy streets giving her an open opportunity to find a secluded area to hide. Panic sets in as the street lights turn dimmer on her way towards the block filled with food stores and baked goods.

"Hey, I'm just trying to help!", cried the woman.

"I don't know you please- please leave me alone".

Kali picks up her pace and breaks into a full sprint. The woman, not giving up, decides to run after her.

"For fuck sakes these kids are fast!", Kali knew the drill. Human traffickers.

Huffing her way through, Quickly losing her stamina, She yells out -

"Someone there?! - Please Anyone!"

Kali had an idea. Might not be the wisest choice but her easiest escape. Throwing down her bag of cans and swinging them to the woman behind her.

"You're going to get it now you little runt - Grab her you idiots!"

Leaving a thin line of blood on the woman's cheek she gasps for air as puddles of potholes amongst the streets fall under her desperate stomps.

"1.."

She counts.

"2..."

A tear drops.

"3..."

Her limbs swing heavily.

I'm almost there. Just a little longer. I will be safe.

Her thoughts create a rampage inside her already untidy mind.

"Kal?", The baker steps outside hearing all the commotion. He squints his eyes trying to see through the cloudy rain.

"Mister Kite! Please-"

A matte black van slides its door open revealing 2 masked men already grabbing Kali's arms and covering her mouth silencing her yells for helpless security.

"Hurry it up before the feds arrive!", The woman climbs inside carefully in a rush trying to avoid Kali's kicks as she thrashes around. Hearing the door shut close, Kali's eyes blurred with tears.

She shook with terror. Questioning what would happen to her now.

"Quite a runner aren't ya", The men chuckled as the woman slowly drags her finger across her bloodied cheek and smears it across Kali's lips.

"You're pretty in red, we'll use it on you for the auction", Kali gags and tries to wipe it off as the men cling onto her arms not letting her move. Kicking her legs, she wants to get loose in any way possible to find a way to defend herself. Afterall she did live on her own with nothing to her name. However she knew if she made them completely aggravated, she'd face dire consequences.

"Quit moving or it's lights out!".

Not wanting to test that offer, she sat still wishing she hadn't gone off in the rain. Kali loved the rain, she found peace in every rain drop. She saw it as every dying wish she had would come true as they unfold splashing on the murky streets.

"Where are you taking me?", Kali barely whispers. "You know little one...for some reason you are worth a lot of money", The woman answers.

"You'll be well taken care off doll and I'll make sure of it", grinning like a Cheshire Cat, the woman grabs a syringe with a strange green liquid.

How did a 14 year old homeless girl get caught in this mess?

Kali keeps her thoughts to herself preparing for the worst as she closes her eyes.

"This won't hurt a bit", The man beside her laughs out.

Pure darkness clouds her vision as she falls limp under the liquid inserted to her neck.

𓆰𓆪