Chapter 6

JAMES POV

Mya disappeared as soon as we got back to the house. The entire time we were walking back from the stream, I'd been cursing myself repeatedly. I shouldn't have told her that I thought she was beautiful. I am nothing to her but her Master's son, but ever since I first saw her, she is more to me than just a slave. Whenever she is around, my thoughts scramble and I say and do stupid things. But Mya, oh sweet Mya, she is always calm. Always collected.

I do my best to rid Mya from my mind, but I cannot. If my mind were the earth, Mya would be its sun. Even now as I am descending the stairs and greeting all the guests that Father has invited, her face shines brighter than a million stars every time I close my eyes.

"Good Evening Mr. Martin and welcome back," a feminine voice says from behind me. I turn and see Margaret Allister, daughter of the most wealthy ranch and slave owner in all of Alabama. Also Alabama's biggest whore. But for the past few years, she's been trying to pursue me. To this day, i still have not thought of a kind way to tell her that I will never be interested in her. So I plaster a smile on my face and say, "Hello Margaret, how do you do?" as warmly as I can. She smiles and dramatically bats her eyes, leaning into me so that I have full view of her barely concealed bosom.

"If I'm being honest, I haven't been this happy since the last time I saw you, nine long months ago! I missed you so very much dear James..." she reaches for my arm, but I gratefully hear someone else call my name. I step away from her just as she tries to press against me. She stumbles, catching herself before she hits the ground. "I'm sorry Margaret, but I just heard some body calling my name. If you'll excuse me," I push past her and into the crowd.

"James! Over Here!" I recognize Adam's voice immediately. Anger from when he'd been disrespecting Mya earlier flares momentarily, but I force it back down as I remember he just saved me from Margaret. I am almost to the table where Adam is seated with two other young ladies, when I run into someone. I look down and see Mya, who is brushing herself off. She doesn't look up but says, "I apologize Mister, I did not see you." I don't answer, just pick a twig from her hair and wave it in front of her face.

"This was in your hair, you been rolling around on the ground or something?" I ask her, a genuine smile slowly lifting my lips. She looks up then, eyes wide. For a second, she returns my smile. Her smile is big and beautiful, and I didn't notice before that she has two deep dimples, one in each cheek. But her smile quickly fades and she just says, "Sorry again, Master Martin." before disappearing back into the crowd.

Confused, I slowly begin walking towards Adam again. When I reach him, he looks up and fakes a frown, "What took you so long?" He doesn't give me time to answer before he starts introducing the two women he brought with him. "This is Bailey," he gestures to a blonde with big blue eyes, fair eyelashes and skin, red lips, and a rather large bosom. I grimace remembering Margaret. "And this is Meredith." He gestures to a brunette, with dark brown eyes, freckles, sun-kissed skin, and...a large bosom.

"Hello, I'm James. Excuse us for a second." I grab Adam's arm and pull him out of the girls' hearing range. "You are not sleeping with them in my house." He laughs and rolls his eyes, "Of course not! I'm taking the brunette home with me." Then he smiles, "The blonde one... well, you'll be sleeping with that one."