Chapter 8

MYA'S POV

The stream was beautiful at night. As it reflected the night sky, it looked like a million stars were embedded into the stream-bed. Looking up at the moon, it was full tonight, I replay what happened between me and Master James. 

"I'm nothing but a slave," I say to the moon. "He knows that. Perhaps all he wants from me is a friendship...but I-I can't give him that. I can't give him anything. But if he knows that I can't give him anything worth having, why does he continue to say and do the things that he does?" I laugh without humor, "I just met the man this morning," I laugh again, "He don't know me, and I don't know him. I don't want to know him neither." You know that's a lie..., the wind seems to whisper.

I look down into my lap, "At least I shouldn't want to know him, but it doesn't matter anymore. I've shut him out, and I will keep my distance from him." 

Getting up from my place on the ground, I watch as the water trickles into the river. At night the river looks black, its surface so still and clear, it looks like the sky is on the ground. I walk until the water is up to my waist. Leaning back, I let the subtle, almost non-existent current carry me to the center of the river. 

I don't know how long I'd been laying there when I heard someone yell, "Mya!" I recognized the voice immediately. It was Master James. Swimming to the shore, I listen for his voice again. I hear it almost immediately, "Mya!" A twig snaps as Master James walks out of the trees several feet away from me. I use the tree beside me to hide. 

"Mya!" Master James calls again, his speech slurred. He's drunk. I roll my eyes. I watch as Master James spins in a circle, looking for me. The spin knocks him off his feet and he falls with an 'oomf'. I can't help the giggle that escapes my lips. His head snaps up as he searches the trees. "Mya? Mya...Are you there?" 

Might as well answer him since he already knows I'm here, I think to myself. Stepping out from my hiding spot, I walk over to Master James, stopping a few feet away from where he's laying on the  ground. When he sees me, a big, boyish smile spreads across his face, his eyes bright enough to light the entire world. I smile back, "What are you doing out here, Master Martin?" 

He struggles to sit up, "Well, I was l-looking for you, Mya. And guess what?" 

"What?" I say warily. 

"I found you!" He giggles and falls back to the ground. 

I can't help but laugh with him. Closing the distance between us, I bend down and hold out my hand, "Here, let me get you back home." As soon as his hand is in min, I pull him up. 

"You're strong," he giggles. I just smile and walk in the direction of the house. 

"Wait, where are you going?" Master James calls from behind me. I turn back around to face him, "I'm taking you back home." 

"But why? I just found you, Mya. I don't want to lose you again." 

"I-You-I," I stutter trying to figure out what to say. I fidget with my dress, trying not to look at Master James' sad, night-blue eyes. Two warm hand grab mine, and I look straight up into the eyes I was trying to avoid. "Please, Mya. I don't want to lose you." I sigh, gently pulling my hands out of his.

"I'm not yours to lose, Master Martin," I say sadly, "Now let's get you home. You need to rest." 

Master James says nothing, just silently follows behind me.