3

Upon entering the living room, which opened into the kitchen, my gaze landed on Vernon, who was pacing back and forth, his face still flushed with anger.

Petunia was seated on the couch, fanning herself due to the heat, as she observed her husband with a concerned expression.

"Ah, finally have an explanation for me, girl?" Vernon barked impatiently as his beady eyes landed on me. "We'll get to the bottom of this, and you'd better have a good explanation!"

As I threw a glance at Draco, feeling safe with him here, Vernon took a seat at the dining table, crossing his beefy arms across his chest.

I proceeded to take a seat at the table as well, while Draco stayed on his feet, leaning against the kitchen island, behind me.

"You know what's going on in our world—"

Vernon interrupted me, "I suppose you're talking about this Lord thing?"

I heard Draco sighing.

"Yes," I said with a nod, my tone serious. "There's a war going on, and essentially...you're in danger and you'll need to go into hiding. You, your wife, and son."

"What?" Petunia shrieked.

A frustrated feeling consumed me at once. "What 'what'?" I snapped, casting an annoyed look at her, before turning my face back to Vernon. "I shouldn't even be explaining to you about this because Kingsley, Dumbledore, and other members of the Order have already explained to you a hundred times that this was going to happen. When Harry turns seventeen, which is in a month if you care to remember, the protective charms that keep us all safe will break, and that exposes us as well as you."

Vernon's face turned a shade of purple, his eyes bulging with rage. "So you're telling me we have to run and hide because of your freakish world problems? I won't have it! We've put up with enough of your nonsense over the years, and now you want us to cower in fear like some scared animals?"

I took a deep breath, attempting to maintain my composure. "Listen, the entire wizarding world is at war, and the Dark Lord is after anyone connected to Harry. You're...well, family, so you're in danger and the protection that kept us safe for years will no longer be effective and therefore, the Order has arranged for a safe place for you to stay until the danger passes."

Vernon slammed his fists on the table, causing Petunia to jump in her seat. "I won't be dragged into your mess any longer! We've done our duty by you, and now you expect us to uproot our lives because of your problems? No, absolutely not! This is ridiculous!"

"Whether you think this is ridiculous or not, doesn't matter," I said matter-of-factly. "Also, you cannot tell anybody we've been here. Not even my brother. He'll be arranging everything with the Order and help you further."

Harry mustn't know I'm here because I want to help Draco stabilise his situation with Voldemort first to ensure his safety. However, Harry would disapprove of this, making it better to proceed this way.

Having said everything I needed to say, I rose from my seat, craving to be out of Vernon's presence.

But Vernon followed suit, his chair scraping against the floor at the same time he reached out and grabbed my upper arm firmly, his grip threatening to leave a bruise.

"I shouldn't have let you in, you insolent witch!" He roared, dragging me along with him. "You're leaving tonight!"

Draco, who had been standing silently until now, sprang into action.

At once, his arm snaked around my waist, and he pulled me towards him in a protective gesture, out of Vernon's grip.

"Lay a hand on her again, and I'll make sure you regret if for the rest of your miserable life," Draco warned, his voice cold and stern.