eight

The silence was stiffening. Jo had his arms crossed as he kept his eyes fixated on the new student — Maki had yet to meet his eyes for longer than two seconds. It was tense. Jo sighed, being the first to speak up. "Apologise to Harua."

"Why don't you tell him how you feel?"

"I'm sure he knows already," Jo answered, looking down to the ground. "He's not oblivious. He might just be ignoring it because we both know that it's for the best. I'm his best friend, and suddenly blurting my feelings for him would ruin things between us for a long time."

"But what if he feels the same?"

"How could he? He likes you."

Maki paused for a moment. "I know."

"Be nicer to him."

"I will."

"And hug him when he's sad."

"I will."

"And treat him well. Be his friend — he... he likes you."

"I know."

Jo glared ever so slightly at the other before scoffing. "You're so... daft. I don't know what he sees in you, really." Maki could only smile in response. "Can I ask why you transferred here?"

"Do you want the gory details?"

"Are the rumours true?"

"... partially."

Jo then hummed in thought before smiling. "You can tell Harua tomorrow. I'll play sick so that you two can make the cupcakes together, okay?"

"Asakura-kun—"

"I'm serious," Jo interrupted with a laugh. "Harua means a lot to me — I like him enough to let him go. I don't know what dramatic past you have — but be transparent with him instead of pushing him away. Okay?"

"Yes, sir."

Jo laughed slightly as he stood up. "I'm still a little scared of you, by the way — because of those rumours about you. But seeing how harmless you are, I'm thinking that I can trust you with Harua. He's..."

"He's your best friend. I get it, you'd like to protect him," Maki nodded. "I'm trying to make changes. I wouldn't ever hurt Harua — I'll keep him safe."

Jo simply smiled as he bowed his head, leaving the other sitting all on his own. Maki thought carefully for a moment before grinning to himself. "Thanks, Jo."

Maki's eyes fell on that familiar tall boy, focusing his eyes on where Haruto was quietly stomping to. He followed Haruto's supposed trail, widening his eyes when he saw Harua waiting at the school's entrance, eyes fixated on his phone. Maki made a beeline towards Harua, but paused when he saw Fuma stop beside him.

"That little bast—!"

"Watanabe, that's enough. Come, Haru-chan."

"You're protecting this little shit?! I'm gonna get you, Harua — just you fucking wait."

Maki watched as Fuma and Harua walked out the school gate together and Haruto was detained by a teacher. He met eyes with Haruto for a mere second, remaining blank as Haruto's scowl grew into a smirk. He broke eye contact with him before continuing on his way out. Fuma noticed Maki, but Harua remained clueless.

"Thanks for the help, Murata-kun. I'm sure he would've done something bad," Harua sighed heavily. "I would hug you, but that would probably make you uncomfortable."

"Wouldn't that make your boyfriend more upset if he saw you hugging other boys?"

"B-boyfriend?"

"Yeah — isn't Maki your boyfriend?"

"E-eh?! Are you crazy? B-boyfriend?! I should hit you for suggesting something so ridiculous!"

"Oh-ho! So you do like him!"

"I don't!"

"You can be honest, Shigeta-chan. It's not like Maki is here to hear you, right?"

"... I suppose..."

"So I'm right."

Harua fell silent and Maki stopped walking, wondering if it was best to leave Fuma and Harua to walk on their own. It felt rude to listen in on their conversation — but they were walking in the same direction as him, so it was difficult to avoid them.

Maki stopped, watching Harua and Fuma walk ahead until there was considerable distance between them. He didn't want to avoid Harua, but Maki felt weird suddenly talking to him after firmly telling him to leave him alone. He shut his eyes tightly before exhaling slightly.

"... tch."

Harua felt miserable that evening. He stared at his phone next to him, hoping that Maki or Jo would contact him — but to no avail. It felt strange still waiting for Maki even after he had pushed him away — but he had told Harua to call him.

His waiting seemed to finally yield results. Harua's phone beeped and he quickly picked it up, heart rushing as he read over Maki's familiar number. A smile grew on Harua's lips as he answered the call. "Hirota-kun...!"

"Harua."

Maki paused for a moment. "I'll help you with your cupcakes tomorrow."

"H-huh? You could've told me this at school, you know."

"Something tells me that you wanted to talk. I'm... I'm sorry about this afternoon. I didn't mean to do that. I felt a little off, and I took it out on you. You... you forgive me, right?"

"Of course I forgive you, you idiot. But you scared me! I thought you hated me! I thought you... I thought you'd never want to speak to me ever again...!"

"Idiot — I said I'd always be there for you. I told you to call me whenever."

"We're still friends, right...?"

"... I suppose so."

Harua's expression brightened, clenching his fists out of sheer happiness. "Can I call you Macchan again?"

"Maki-chan is fine."

"We'll be baking tomorrow in the afternoon," Harua told him. "Thanks for helping us, Maki. And... thank you for trusting me. Jo told me to be less foreceful with you, seeing as you're still new here — s-so if I'm being annoying, just tell me."

"Shigeta-kun... no— Harua-chan, I'm sorry for pushing you away. You're not annoying, I'm just mean. I trust you, by the way. I know you wouldn't use anything against me."

"So you'll tell me why you transferred?"

"Maybe not over the phone, but yes," Maki answered, his tone gentler. "I'm sorry for calling so late. I'll let you be. Goodnight."

"Goodnight, Maki-chan."