Chapter 2

Otanyi

"On second thought, why don't I help with the introduction part," Agatha seemed to be addressing herself rather than me, but again, I ignored it.

It was a bit strange when she opened the office door without knocking first. But I honestly had yet to learn proper etiquette in this office. Perhaps this was the way everyone acted around here.

"What the f...?"

Or not.

"I'm so sorry to disturb you, chief, but your new assistant has been waiting to meet you since earlier this morning," Agatha finished, balancing herself with one hand on the doorjamb and one pointy stiletto heel on the ground. The other heel was oddly airborne as her leg bent at the knee.

Was she flirting or something? She looked like a flamingo, and her tight pink dress pants and an even darker pink blouse didn't help.

I couldn't even see into the office because she blocked my view with her arm holding the door partially ajar. I kicked myself mentally for letting her position herself first with my new boss in introducing me.

But I quickly grew tired of the gatekeeping and gave the door a light push backward so that it opened wider.

"Whose dick did she suck to get that position?"

Everything seemed to be happening in slow motion at that point.

I was adjusting to the words that had just come out of the mouth of the man I'd be directly reporting to just as Agatha lost her balance, probably because I pushed on the door. I was barely watching as she slid down to the ground.

"What the fuck did you just say?" I nearly screamed. It was a reflex.

Oh shit.

"Ouch," I heard it like a set of screeching tires coming from a source down below me.

Only then did I look down at the crumpled mass of the best that Lord and Taylor's 'New Arrivals' had to offer. Without thinking, I offered Agatha my hand.

She didn't take it.

Instead, she took another hand.

He must have been at least 6'2 or 6'3 with a swimmer's build. My eyes immediately went to the broad expanse of his back and shoulders as he leaned over Agatha in full-on damsel mode. She touched practically every inch of the well-defined forearms exposed to me since he had his collared dress shirt sleeves rolled up to just below his elbows.

Once Agatha was steady again, she remained leaning against him for 'support' until he drew back his arms from around her upper body, almost like he was trying to shove himself away from her.

Running a hand through his auburn hair, I watched as his loose curls re-shaped themselves just above the nape of his neck.

As far as handsome goes, he was it. I was checking out my boss.

You are checking out your boss!

It was the clearing of the throat to my left that brought me back to reality and kept me from staring at his butt as he walked back behind his desk.

"What the hell, newbie?" Agatha practically hissed at me, but just under her breath, as the venom was directed towards me.

"Otanyi. That's your name, right?" He was mid-sentence as he took his seat. Then, donning a pair of rimless glasses, he continued. "Otanyi Grant graduated magna cum laude from UNC and was the Lifestyle Editor for The Daily Tar Heel. Impressive," he said with an eyebrow raised. But it didn't sound complimentary. It sounded almost as if he was mocking me.