Chapter 17

Otanyi

Are you fucking kidding me?

I tried to contain the laugh slash shout that left my mouth, but it was damn near impossible.  Seeing Hunter launch himself out of his seat so fast had me almost to the point of tears.

He'd intentionally spilled a glass of sorrel on his pants and was furiously wiping away at it while also covering up his crotch area.  And sorrel, the way my father made it, was a dark liquid drink made from dried hibiscus flowers steeped for hours with star anise, ginger, and cinnamon, so wherever it fell, it would stain. And I knew he did it on purpose because I'd caught the slight movement of his hand even if no one else at the table had.

Even as he stood over us apologizing profusely, I could see it in his eyes that he knew I'd caught him out.

"Oh no, be merciful.  Let me go and get a wet cloth to soak up the liquid," my mother said as she rose to go to the kitchen.

"No, no, that is quite alright.  They're just a pair of old pants anyway.   Um, where's your bathroom?" Hunter asked nervously.  No doubt dreading being exposed for real if my mother returned with a cloth to help clear up his distress only to find out that he had a partially erect penis as the primary problem.

"Ouch," I turned my glare from Hunter to Milli, who'd just kicked me.  Her eyes registered that she knew something was also up with the accidental spillage.

Ah well, the more they knew, the better, except when it came to my dad, who was still toying with the food on his plate, never entirely taking a full fork to his mouth.  And now, he was focused on watching his wife getting more flustered at someone as seemingly important as my boss having an accident like this at her dining table.  For good measure, I'm sure he was pissed that his liquid gold, being the 'best batch' of sorrel he's ever made, steadily bleeding across the front of Hunter's pants.  But in truth, he thought that every time he made it.

"Blessing, get up and help di man, nuh?" I cringed at the nickname but was even more startled by its use in front of someone who wasn't family. 

My parents were beginning to speak normally again, instead of this 'speaky-spokey' nonsense they'd been carrying on with since Hunter had stepped inside the house.  First, my dad had slipped, and now my mother.

Good, they were all getting too comfortable anyway.  Let the patios out!

"I'll show you where it is.  Follow me," I said as I guided Hunter toward the one furthest away from all the commotion still happening at the table. 

I didn't bother to check whether or not he was still following me because I could hear him still wiping away at his pants as we walked.

The look on my parent's faces was priceless, and that alone had been worth teasing him into enough of a frenzied state that he'd ruined his outfit.

I laughed again as we finally reached the front hallway, where we had a tiny two-piece bathroom.  It was more like a closet as you couldn't even open the door fully since it abutted an actual closet door that always remained open.

"Hey, wait, what..."

I had little time to react as Hunter pushed me into the bathroom before him, drawing the door closed behind us both.

"So, this was your plan all along?  Embarrass me in front of your family?" he spoke under his breath in a whisper, but it didn't sound like he was doing it to keep others from hearing.

He was actually pissed.

"You've got some nerve.  Why are you here, Hunter?"

"Because you didn't come into work and wouldn't pick up your phone," he answered.