Chapter 8 : Deception

Tiberius stood alongside a handful of loyal legionnaires, their presence only magnifying the intensity within the fortified bunker. The air grew thick with apprehension, suffusing the cramped space as if it were a tangible entity. The control panel, looming before them, operated the eight massive turrets that towered above, silent sentinels of destruction. Each gun emplacement housed two formidable 21-inch auto cannons, their potential unleashing a deafening symphony of power that could be heard for miles. The earth-shattering shells they expelled possessed the ability to pierce the very core of the land, leaving a wake of havoc and devastation that seemed otherworldly.

These relentless artillery batteries had become impervious to the imperium's assaults, leaving the legion battered and depleted. The Hindenburg line had pushed them to the brink, forcing a choice between fleeing or facing certain annihilation. But now, against all odds, the tides of war had shifted, and the hopes of millions rested upon the shoulders of this small band of elite warriors.

As Tiberius surveyed his comrades, the weight of their collective burden settled upon him, mingling with a growing sense of unease. The gravity of the situation, coupled with their limited numbers, fueled a potent mix of anxiety and determination within the bunker's walls.
As Tiberius anxiously awaited confirmation, Marcus and Cladius, accompanied by four additional teams of Wolves scout snipers, lay in patient anticipation. They remained concealed amidst the shadows, overlooking the sprawling expanse of the Goth airship port. Their elite group, now bolstered in numbers, added a sense of solidarity and collective determination to the mission at hand.

Together, they awaited the opportune moment to infiltrate the heavily guarded port, their eyes trained on the gargantuan structure that loomed before them. As they reached their vantage point, a sense of awe washed over the entire team. The immense structure stood tall and imposing, like a towering monument to the enemy's engineering prowess. It spanned three-quarters of a mile in radius, its depths sinking beyond the reach of human sight.

At the heart of this colossal structure, a central column of iron and steel commanded attention. Gangways spread out like skeletal figures, reaching into the depths of darkness. The massive column, lined with glass windows, provided a breathtaking view of the floating airships held aloft by chains and ropes. The sight was nothing short of surreal, with the airships seeming to defy the laws of nature. Chains and ropes held them suspended in mid-air, while colossal steam engines and heavy pistons churned, turning the cogs and shafts that, in turn, spun the airships' massive rotors.

Marcus, Claudius, and their fellow Wolves scout snipers stood in collective admiration and trepidation, fully comprehending the magnitude of their mission. The responsibility to sabotage this awe-inspiring structure weighed heavily upon their shoulders. However, bolstered by the presence of their comrades, a resolute determination coursed through their veins. They understood that the fate of the legion and the success of their campaign rested on their united efforts. With unwavering resolve, they prepared to face the daunting challenge ahead, unified in purpose and ready to defy the odds.

Ever since Marcus laid eyes on the airship port, an uneasy feeling had settled within him. It gnawed at his instincts, whispering doubts about the seemingly smooth journey they had undertaken thus far. Now, as they stood at the location where they would carry out their nefarious mission, an unsettling silence enveloped the surroundings. The defensive trenches guarding the entrance hatches to the maintenance tunnels were manned by only a handful of lightly armed Goth troops. It struck Marcus as odd, as if the enemy's defenses were deliberately sparse. Adding to the strangeness was the sight of a single, badly damaged Dreadnought anchored nearby. Scaffolding enveloped its hull, crews diligently working to replace the massive armored plates. Alongside the wounded behemoth, two battle cruisers and a few light bombers loomed, hardly the full squadron one would expect. Something was amiss, and Marcus couldn't shake the feeling that they had fallen into a trap.