Chapter 6

The stores had barely opened when Claire and Sarry made their way into the city. Sarry had insisted on using her father's white stretch limo to get them to their favorite shopping spot in the city, Filene's. The pair made the rounds until lunch, when they collapsed at a little out-of-the-way café. Sarry led them to the table by the window. The short curtain blocked out some of the drizzly gray day with a cheery red gingham print. The interior shone brightly, with white wainscoting and yellow walls. The sounds of the other occupants made it lively.

"Oh, I can't stop thinking of that pink muslin," Sarry sighed as she dropped on a chair.

A soda-jerk approached them at their table. "What can I get ya?"

"Just a coffee," Sarry grumbled at him, lighting her cigarette.

"I'll have a coffee," Claire said, taking up her own chair. "What pies do you have?"

"Pecan, apple, cherry, peach, lemon, chocolate-" "Claire, those things'll catch up with you," Sarry warned.

"Coconut cream," the man finished.

"Make it tea and give me some peach pie." Claire ignored Sarry.

"Certainly, miss," the man said, scribbling on his pad. "Will that be all?"

"It's your funeral," Sarry said as she puffed on her cigarette. She flashed the man one of her electric smiles. "Yes, thanks."

"It'll be up in just a minute." He reddened, grinning.

Claire shucked her jacket and draped it over the vacant chair beside her. She set her small purse on the seat and fished for her compact and lipstick.

"I can't stop thinking about that dress," Sarry whined again.

"Why didn't you just buy it, Sarry? We both know you can afford it. It's not like you won't eat if you did," Claire said, applying lipstick.

"I know, kid. Sometimes I think I just like to torture myself."

"You're not kidding," Claire replied. She powdered her nose with precise pats, then stuffed her compact and lipstick away. "And anyone who's with you."

The soda-jerk returned, balancing a small tray that carried a little tin teapot and two cups and saucers. In his free hand he held a pot of coffee. He set the tray before them.

"Be right back with that pie."

Claire raised her eyebrow but said nothing. Her attention went to Sarry, who was still mourning the dress that got away.

"Well, this turned out to be a stunner," Sarry said about the gray day. "What a welcome home, huh?"

"It doesn't matter, Sarry." Claire smiled at the drizzle and folded her arms on the table. She shrugged. "I'm a New York girl anyway. I'll be back there in a couple days and forget all this."

Sarry said nothing, letting her cigarette burn to her fingertips. The impression in the woman's eyes pushed Claire back.

"Say! Why don't you come with me?" Claire asked, in hope of keeping Sarry from speaking her mind.

The server came back to the table with a large slice of peach pie. He set it before Claire and left them to their conversation.

"I'd love to," Sarry said. "But I can't leave that dress."

The girls regarded each other as the joke simmered. Their laughter filled the café and soon all eyes were on them.

Claire poured the tea into her cup. Sarry sipped her coffee. The occupants of the café went back to their own business.