Chapter 27

The new driver kept silent the entire time it took to reach the safe house, and this seemed to pull everyone else into the same stupor. The vehicle rounded another turn and lumbered along a wide street within view of a river. Halfway down the street, the car stopped. They sat outside a brownstone flat, hemmed in on two sides by identical buildings. Twilight made the houses mysterious and ghostly. Aside from a lonely bird song, the streets were quiet. A breeze gently rustled the leaves.

Carsten opened his door and climbed out, followed by the driver. He ordered the man to attend to Healey, and said that he would take care of the ladies until he was through. The man nodded stiffly and went to work. Carsten ambled to the last door. Claire ignored him, quite sullen, and hugged herself, a bit chilled from sitting in the open air without a jacket. Regardless, she would have to wait until he'd settled her aunt inside.

"Frau O'Shea," Carsten called. He held his hand out.

The older woman hoisted herself up from the seat with some difficulty, as her knees had stiffened during the restful ride. Carsten carefully helped her out of the car, clasping both her hands in his.

"Oh, I'm gonna feel this tomorrow," Noreen declared, putting both hands on the small of her back and stretching. She winced as her sore muscles strained.

"Not as bad as you think," Carsten said.

"I bet you've been blown to bits half a dozen times," Noreen said through her discomfort.

"Give or take, maybe a dozen." Carsten pursed his lips.

Noreen tsked at him. He smiled at her charmingly.

Carsten saw the driver exiting the flat. He loped down the stairs back to the car. Carsten signaled for him to take Noreen indoors. There was no way he was going to allow the man to put his hands on Claire while he was around. Besides, judging by the shadow on her face, he might get bitten. That was all they needed. She would be shipped off to Breendonk before he could finish giving her a piece of his mind.

The driver dutifully approached Noreen. When he offered her his arm, she hesitated and stammered with confusion. Then she saw Carsten help her niece from the car. She frowned at Claire. The man mumbled something to her, dragging her attention away. She took his arm and let him lead her.

"Come on, Thor," Noreen grumbled. "Might as well. Talking to her is like talking to the wall. Just like her father." She looked up at the man lending her his arm. He kept his eyes ahead, wearing a deep frown and ignoring her rambling. "Just like you."

Noreen's mumbling disappeared with the breeze. Carsten shut the door of the car and carefully held Claire to his side. She limped along beside him as they made their way to the flat. He could feel her tremble and noticed her eyes darting frantically.

"No need to worry," he told her. "You are safe here."

Claire placed her hand on his shoulder to balance herself. As soon as he stepped, she tried to move faster.

"Take it easy, Fräulein," he laughed. "There are no grenades in this street, I assure you."

Claire wouldn't be eased by his assurances. As she hobbled along, she tried to pull him forward as fast as her bruised body could move. Carsten exhaled with frustration and lifted her into his arms. He could carry her to the house faster.

"What are you doing?" she demanded. She was trying to cling to him but keep her distance, which was proving to be impossible.

"If you insist on hurrying, you will hurt yourself worse," Carsten replied. "You're stubborn as a mule-mad little monkey."