Chapter 30

Inside the Chancellery, Carsten was forced to part with his cargo. He looked back over his shoulder as he walked a lower hall with Braun, and Claire mounted a set of stairs beside her aunt. When she glanced back at him, her brow raised and her mouth twisted into a frown. The fire and fear swimming in her eyes nearly broke his will, but the steel eagle at his side kept him on task. He wanted to run to her, but he had already risked too much. She disappeared beyond a corner, shattering his wish to pieces.

"She's a lovely girl," Braun said. He pinned his attention on the empty hall ahead.

Carsten straightened his shirt, ignoring the comment and the teasing grin.

"Perhaps she'll help you decide to stay in town for a while. All the more incentive to take up police work-to be home at night."

Carsten half smiled. The man brilliantly worked his leverage. He tucked his hands in his pocket and kept quiet. Braun couldn't promise him anything.

"Where are they taking them?" Carsten asked.

"To the apartments upstairs, as I said," Braun replied.

"They lost everything in the car bombing," Carsten told him.

"I'll see to a voucher," Braun said. "Someone can take them out tomorrow. I hear Focke ordered you to play guardian a while longer. Perhaps he wishes to use your relationship with the girl to find out more information?"

"No doubt," Carsten replied.

"You realize we don't trust Healey," Braun said.

"Why should we?" Carsten said. "I don't believe my reports said differently."

"Very good." Braun smiled. "Use his daughter as you see fit. She makes it easy for you. She must know something." Braun stopped beside a door flanked by two similar uniforms. They stood with their backs stiff and wooden faces frowning at the opposite wall. "Through here," Braun indicated. One of the wooden soldiers opened the door. They saluted Braun as he passed through. "Some of our men wish to have a little chat with you. Consider it an interview."

Carsten swallowed his worry. The SS had been observing him since he set foot in France. They wouldn't back down now. With the loss of their man in the field and the shooting in the alley, they had new reasons to ask him questions. It wasn't the time to lose his nerve.

Braun escorted Carsten through an empty office to a meeting room. The space was dimly lit by overhead lamps. Three men in similar uniforms to Braun's sat around the head of the table. A stack of files was set before the man in the middle, who was also the second highest rank in the room, and probably Braun's assistant. A fourth man sat somewhat apart and wore a tan uniform. On his arm he wore the red armband with the party's insignia. Likely he was there to report to their supreme leader.

Braun gestured to where Carsten should sit. Carsten did so, folding his hands before him and waited for Braun to join them. It seemed his old teacher had abdicated the interview to his second. This knowledge eased Carsten's mind some, hoping they only meant to assess their new recruit under Braun's guidance.

"Welcome home, Hauptmann," Braun's second said in that unemotional tone characteristic of his kind.

"Danke."

"We wish to ask you a few questions and then brief you on the situation," the tan-dressed man said.

Carsten flicked his eyes to him and nodded.

"Oberführer Braun and Oberstleutnant Focke have expressed their highest of praise in your regard," Braun's second began the interview. "We must add that we are most impressed with your performance. The Führer himself has reviewed your file and wishes to bestow great honors on you for the work you have done for the Fatherland."