Chapter 2

As you walk away, your eyes full of hot tears, you start to wonder where it all went wrong. It started in sixth grade, when you were being laughed at by some bullies on the playground, when a brave seventh grader came over and told the others to get lost. Ever since then, you and Sawyer where inseparable, always causing trouble. You first realized you liked him a year later, after you two had finished studying for finals together. He was worried about failing, and knowing you were the smarter of the pair, he immediately turned to you for help.
Your story continues through high school. Sawyer shares with you that he's decided to audition for the Voice, and you couldn't have been prouder. At the same time, you began to worry. If he won, you two would have less and less time together. The thought nearly shattered you, but you just went along with it, because you knew Sawyer was so happy about it.
After he won, he sat down and called you straight away. He was so happy that you just couldn't burst his bubble and tell him of your concerns. It was hard, but you eventually decided to tell him when the time was right.
You ponder this while walking. It's now dark out, and you're about the only person still outside, when you hear a worried voice calling your name.
You turn around to see Sawyer running towards you. His voice is scratchy, as if he's been looking for you all afternoon.
He runs up and says, "Hey! I've been looking all over for you! Where did you go?"
You try to explain, but you end up just standing there sobbing instead. Sawyer walks over and gently wraps his arms around you. He lets you cry onto his shoulder for a few minutes, and then he speaks. "I was trying to help you after you fell, but I couldn't break through the crowd. I'm so sorry. You're my best friend, and I let you down. I'm sorry..."