Chapter 2. 1885 

George raised one eyebrow. "But you are a woman. Do you honestly believe you can solve these cases?"
Eliza. "Yes."
George. "Eliza, let me be frank with you for one moment. It's no surprise that you are very intelligent, but all of these cases are going to be too much for you to handle. Let me take them off your hands."
Eliza glared at him. "Thank you for your assistance, but I can handle it. Now,  if you will excuse me, his grace and I need to continue our search for his mother's necklace."
George clenched his jaw. "Fine."he turned and walked back toward his gambling table.
Eliza sighed. Did George really underestimate her simply because she was a woman? Her eyes landed on the document and the necklace. She needed to make her father proud. She needed to prove to George, and herself, that she was capable of solving every case that came her way.
James. "Forgive me for asking Miss Watson, but have you and inspector Crawford never agreed on certain matters?"
Eliza nodded. "We never have your grace. Inspector Crawford believes he is my superior, simply because we are of a different gender. He is under the impression that i'm not capable of solving any of these cases."
James shook his head. "From what I just witnessed, I believe you are perfectly capable of solving this case and however many more come your way."
Eliza smiled at him. "Do you really believe so?"
James nodded. "I have faith that you can solve this case Miss Watson."
Eliza smiled softly. "Thank you for your encouragement your grace. Now, where was your mother's necklace last seen?"
James. "It was last seen around my mother's neck earlier this evening."
Eliza nodded. "Had the two of you gone out?"
James nodded. "Yes, we had gone out for an early dinner. My mother doesn't like to eat a large meal late at night."
Eliza nodded. "When did either of you notice that the necklace was gone?"
James. "We had just finished eating dinner and were speaking to a group of friends. As we were leaving, my mother said she felt someone snatch her necklace."
Eliza nodded. "Did she see who the culprit was?"
James shook his head. "No, it happened very quickly. My mother became panicked, because that necklace was a wedding gift to her from my father."
Eliza. "All right. I must speak to your mother to get more information."
James nodded, rising to his feet. "Of course. I have a carriage that can take us to Devonshire Park."
Eliza rose from her seat. "Good, then we don't have a minute to waste. The sooner we find the thief, the quicker your mother's necklace can be returned to her."
James nodded, looping her hand through his elbow and leading her outside. Locating the Devonshire carriage, he helped Eliza into it before climbing inside and sitting down across from her. He was hoping and praying that his mother's necklace would be found intact.
As the carriage drove down the cobblestone streets, Eliza became lost in deep thought. Who on earth could have taken a necklace that belonged to the dowager Duchess of Devonshire? She shook her head, her eyes landing on her hands which were curled in her lap.
James watched Eliza intently, becoming intrigued by her. She was both beautiful and intelligent. Golden blonde curls fixed into a bun at the back of her neck. Caramel brown eyes that sparkled with curiosity and determination. Elegant curves outlined perfectly in a three-piece suit comprised of a matching dark blue blazer and skirt, a white button up blouse, and short black heeled boots. A black velvet jacket was resting on the seat beside her, a pair of black gloves and a matching beret sticking out from her skirt pocket.
Eliza raised her eyes to his, blushing a soft pink as she realized he was watching her. She cleared her throat. "Will your mother want to be questioned? I don't need to ask her too much if she's not comfortable."
James smiled, shaking his head. "My mother is going to want to no answers. You may ask her anything you would like. I will warn you, she may or may not be distraught."
Eliza nodded. "I will take that into consideration."
The journey to Devonshire Park continued in silence. Both James and Eliza were thinking the same thing. The thief needed to be caught, and the necklace needed to be returned.
James. "If I may ask Miss Watson, how long have you been a private detective?"
Eliza. "Nearly 2 months. I inherited my father's business when he died of a sudden heart attack."
James nodded. "I'm so sorry for your loss. What about your mother?"
Eliza. "My mother died when I was eight years old. My housekeeper, Rachel, raised me as if she was my mother. We have become even more close since my father's death."
James. "I understand how you feel. I lost my father when I was 18 years old. I was thrust into the life of a Duke much too young."
Eliza. "My deepest condolences your grace. What did your father pass away from?"
James. "A very sudden and unexpected fever that took him within three days. I was devastated, but I knew I needed to provide from my mother and my younger sister."
Eliza. "Where is your sister now?"
James smiled softly. "She is very happily married to a dear friend of mine. They have two children, a son and a daughter. She was married three years after father died. She and I are two years apart."
Eliza returned his smile. "How lovely. I wish I had a sibling. Sadly I am the only child."
James. "Well, you may be the only child but you are brilliant."
Eliza raised one eyebrow. "How do you know I am so brilliant?"
James chuckled. "Because I know you are going to solve this case."