Chapter 9. 1885 

WARNING: this chapter contains scenes of attempted rape.
***
Rachel stepped aside just as George walked into the room. She swallowed hard before leaving to give them some privacy.
Eliza's mouth dropped. "What are you doing here?"
George allowed his eyes to wander down her body, and he licked his lips with approval. "Where are you going this evening?"
Eliza stood up, crossing her arms. "Nowhere of your concern."
George took a step forward, taking her hands. "I believe it is my concern Eliza. Are you going out with someone?"
Eliza wrenched her hands away from him. "If you must know, yes. The Duke of Devonshire has invited me to his home this evening for dinner."
George's eyes widened. "The Duke of Devonshire has invited you to his home for dinner?"
Eliza nodded. "Yes he has. He is wanting to return the favor because I helped return his mother's necklace safely."
George rolled his eyes before looking at her again. "Well, I am a bit jealous I must admit."
Eliza stared at him. "And why are you jealous George? You know the two of us are just friends."
George took another step forward, his face inches away from hers. "Have I told you my feelings for you Eliza?"
Eliza felt her blood turn into ice. "No, and I do not want to know your feelings for me. Because I will tell you now, I do not return those feelings."
George took her face roughly between his hands, his dark gray eyes fixed with hers. "Such a shame that you don't. Because I find you to be very beautiful, and I desire you."
Feeling very uncomfortable, and hearing the sound of another approaching carriage, Eliza tried pushing George away. "Well I don't reciprocate those feelings. Now please, let me go."
George growled. "Not until I have a taste."
Before Eliza had any time to react, she felt George press his lips forcefully against hers. She gasped, trying to push him away. "George, what are you doing?"
By this point, George had her pressed up against the wall, his eyes and tent on her face. "I want you Eliza. I want you to myself and I don't want to share you with anyone else."
Eliza felt the color disappear from her face. She swallowed hard before glaring at him. "I don't want you George. You are only a fellow inspector, nothing else."
George. "Is that so?"
Eliza. "You know it is. I don't consider you anything more than a fellow inspector. I don't have the same feelings for you that you do for me."
George growled, his hand moving around her throat. "Such a shame, because I want you. I don't believe the Duke of Devonshire deserves you."
Eliza tried pushing against him, but then felt his lips on hers once more. Her heart was pounding, her body trembling with fear. George wasn't about to ruin her, was he?
George moved his hand from around Eliza's throat and down to her breasts. He began caressing them through her gown. He purred with pleasure. "Your breasts feel magnificent. What I wouldn't give to taste them."
Eliza tried pushing him away once more, but couldn't. She was unable to move. She stared at him with pleading eyes. "Please George, I beg of you don't do this."
George. "Don't do what Eliza? This?" His right hand slid into the bodice of her gown, easily removing her breast from its confinement.
A sudden roar shook the entire house, and before George could do anything, he was grabbed roughly around the throat and thrown against the wall. He struggled against the hands that held him captive, but then froze. "Your grace..."
***
James had seen enough. As soon as his carriage had pulled up to Eliza's home, he had seen his beautiful private detective being pressed against the wall, her right breast exposed. She was receiving very unwanted attention by inspector George Crawford. He wasn't going to stand around and wait for her to be ruined, especially by that bastard.
James threw open his carriage door, leaping out of the vehicle and running up the three stone steps to the house. He burst through the door, roaring with fury. Grabbing George around the throat, he threw him up against the wall, holding him captive.
George was now pale. "Your grace..."
James growled, squeezing the young gentleman's throat. "You bloody bastard! How dare you touch her that way!"
George struggled against him. "I was simply proving a point!"
Eliza turned away, fixing herself before turning back to the scene before her. She glared at George. "And what was your point inspector Crawford? That you want to ruin me?"
George. "No, my point was that I desire you! But it's quite clear you don't desire me!"
Despite her beating heart, Eliza maintained her composure and crossed her arms over her chest. "I told you George, I don't reciprocate your feelings. Now, unless you want to be in a dual with the Duke of Devonshire, I suggest you leave."
James released George, his dark brown eyes filled with fury. "You heard her, go."
George coughed, rubbing his neck. "Fine, I will go."
Eliza. "Oh and George, one more thing."
George turned back to look at her before he left the house. "What?"
Eliza. "I no longer need your assistance. I will handle the rest of my father's cases myself. I will be responsible for taking every theft to Scotland Yard."
George. "And what if something happens to you while you are dealing with a case?"
Eliza picked up her purse which held her pistol. "That I can also handle. Goodbye inspector Crawford."
George growled. "Good luck to you Miss Watson. You will need it."