Chapter 12. 1886 

Three days later, it was the evening of the opera. The evening in which James would confess his feelings for Eliza. The evening in which he would also propose.
Carlton. "And you are sure you are ready to propose marriage your grace?"
James nodded. "I am. I love Eliza dearly, and I am going to tell her so this evening after the opera. I want her to be my wife."
Carlton smiled. "I believe she is going to say yes your grace. Miss Watson seems like a very bright young woman."
James. "She is."
Carlton. "Do you need anything from me before I take my leave?"
James shook his head. "Not at the moment Carlton, thank you."
Carlton nodded, turned, and left the room. He smiled softly to himself, realizing that there was soon going to be a Duchess of Devonshire in the house.
James glanced at the beautiful ring resting on a dark red velvet pillow before him on the desk. It had belonged to Margaret. The band was gold, the circular diamond sparkling brilliantly beneath the setting sunlight.
James smiled at the portrait of his father that hung on the wall beside his desk. The ring in front of him was the exact same ring David had used to propose to Margaret. And now, that same ring was going to be given to Eliza.
Picking up the pillow, James placed it carefully into a black velvet box and closed the lid. His heart was pounding like wildfire in his chest. He was hoping and praying that night was going to go smoothly, and that Eliza would say yes. Rising from his seat, he walked into his bedroom to begin getting ready for that night.
***
Rachel. "You look magnificent my dear! I don't believe the Duke is going to be able to stop looking at you all night!"
Eliza couldn't believe how beautiful she looked. She had to do a double take as she stared at her reflection in the large gold mirror. For that evenings opera, she decided to wear the dusty blue silk gown with off the shoulder sleeves and a square neckline. The back of the gown was composed of a corset. Her hair was fixed into a side bun with curls along her left shoulder, and cream silk gloves completed her ensemble.
Rachel gave her a pair of matching dusty blue slippers. "What do you think? You've not said a word for the last 10 minutes."
Eliza giggled. "I am simply in shock. I don't recognize myself. However, I suppose that's a good thing. I simply hope his Grace approves."
Rachel helped her into the slippers. "I have a feeling he is going to approve very much my dear. There is no need for you to be nervous about anything."
Eliza. "I know that. But I can't help feeling that something wonderful is going to take place this evening."
Rachel looked up at her. "Do you really believe so?"
Eliza nodded. "I do."
Rachel smiled, helping her fasten the round diamond pendant around her neck before sliding the matching earrings into her earlobes. "Well, whatever this wonderful thing is, I hope it brings you happiness."
Eliza smiled back, hugging her tightly. "I hope so too. I will see you later this evening."
Rachel. "Have a wonderful time."
Smiling, Eliza stepped out of her bedroom and made her way to the top of the grand marble staircase. She was just about to take the first step when she heard a smooth and seductive voice at her ear.
James. "You look magnificent."
Eliza turned her head and smiled at him. "Thank you my dear, and you look dashing."
James smiled back, kissing her softly. "Thank you my love. Are you ready to go?"
Eliza nodded. "I am. I am very much looking forward to this evening."
James. "I'm glad, because I am looking forward to this evening as well."
Exchanging a sweet smile, they walked down the stairs and into the dining room for a delicious dinner. After enjoying their meal, they stepped outside and climbed into the carriage that was waiting for them. Settling back against the tufted seat, they drove toward the Royal Albert Hall for an evening at the opera.
***
Arriving to the opera house 10 minutes later, James and Eliza stepped out of the carriage and walked inside. They gave their tickets to a bouncer and walked up a flight of red velvet stairs toward the Devonshire Private box. Stepping through the dark red velvet curtains, they sat down on a pair of plush dark red velvet chairs a few feet away from the balcony.
As she carefully sat down, Eliza noticed two champagne flutes along with a bottle of champagne chilling in a bucket of ice. She glanced at James. "Is there a special occasion tonight?"
James smiled and nodded. "There is."
Eliza raised one eyebrow with curiosity. "Oh? And what is that special event?"
James. "It's a surprise, you will have to wait until after the first act of the opera is finished to receive it."
Eliza smiled. "Very well, that I can certainly do."
James took a seat next to her. "Good, because I assure you that it will be worth the weight."
Eliza smiled, intertwining her fingers with his. "I can't wait."
They exchanged a sweet smile just as the house lights became dim and the stage lights came up. Fingers intertwined, they watched the first few performers glide on stage, listening to them singing above the sweeping orchestra. Love was blossoming between them, and would come to a full crescendo before the opera was finished. That night would change everything forever.