Chapter 7

Everyone knew that Geoff's parties were the the best in town.  Nothing else could compare.  Usually there was 100+ people there, or even up to 200, and the strange part was Geoff's parents didn't even mind.  The rumor was that they were big partiers in their youth and still were.  They were wilder than the norm with their extravagant tattoos and creative clothing. 

      Geoff's mother, Jean, had turquoise hair that was cut above her shoulders.  She had quotes and foreign symbols on her arms, mostly expressing love and peace.  She was fascinated with the hippie scene, even though she was born in 1979.  His father, Greg, was a country boy; born and raised in a conservative family in Southern Alabama.  Once he turned 18, he left to pursue a radical life style.  He grew his hair down to the middle of his back and shaped a goatee onto his face.  There he meet Jean and they quickly married in Vegas, much to the demise of his family.  

Soon they became a family of three with the birth of Geoff.  Then 4, then 5 and then all the way up to a family of nine with six boys and one girl.  Even though their wasn't much quiet times in the family, they were always peaceful and happy.  Even when the fell on hard times, like moving to Canada because financial struggles, the always focused on the positive.

Another strange thing about the parties was Geoff's parents would party with the teens. Even more strange, they would serve alcohol.  They did try to keep the younger teens from accessing it, telling them they had to show their IDs.  But sometimes they would let it slide and let them have a drink or two.

     Duncan didn't care for the alcohol or any type of beverage of the sort.  He was turned off of drinking since his father abused it when he was younger.  He vowed he would never be like his father and believed that alcohol was the reason his family broke apart. He wasn't even tempted when it was around.  Though, he knew his friends drank and always offered to be the driver.  The thought of his friends getting into an accident was too much to handle. 

     His mother trusted him, even though he had gotten in trouble in the past.  But since he got older, he became more responsible.  Maybe to set an example for his sisters.

     Selena was upset when she learned of the party  a week earlier and was told she wasn't allowed to go.

"It's not fair.  Why does Duncan get to go?"

"Because hes 18 and you're 14," his mother explained.

"He went to parties at 14!"

"He did not and if he did, he was grounded. Right, Duncan?" His mother gave him a look telling him to agree.

"Yup I was an angel." Duncan gave a toothy smile.

"Bullshit!"

"Selena Marie McKay!"

The ladies continued to fight as Duncan slipped out quietly.

*****************************************************************************************************

Heather curled her hair into springs.  Katie was at her make-up mirror putting on lip stick and pursing her lips.

"So," Katie said "What do you think the new cheerleader tryout routine will be like?"

"Hard. very complex," Heather responded "I can't believe she changed the whole thing. And without asking us.."

"You think she'll actually try to make them fail?"

"I don't know," Heather sighed, "I'm all up to give them a challenge but not an impossible one."

"Especially since her cousin is trying out."