Chapter 4

Cody was exhausted. He hadn't gotten any sleep the night before. This was becoming a regular thing for him. His insomnia was taking over and he didn't if he could make it through the day. But he would have to try; knowing that he has to make track practice today or he wouldn't be able to compete in the semifinals. He was the teams best sprinter and couldn't let his down. Although none of his teammates were actually his friends.

     Speaking of friends, Cody heard giggles and laughter down the hallway. He looked and saw Alejandro, Noah and their girlfriends walking down the hallway. Cody glared at them. He couldn't help hating them yet wanting to be them at the same time.

Well, he didn't hate everyone. He didn't hate Noah; Noah was his friend. They still were close and hung out a lot . But Cody could see Noah was changing. Becoming one of them. Noah had always been more outgoing and confident where as Cody was quiet and shy. But they both hung out with the "nerds" and "geeks" and became friends quickly. But Cody could see he was drifting away from that crowd and into a new one.

     Cody didn't really mind Katie; she was Noah's girlfriend after all. She wasn't originally from the popular crowd either. When she became a cheerleader and her best friend moved away, she skyrocketed up the social ladder. She was bubbly and sweet. Though she could be annoying at times, she was a nice girl.

      Alejandro and Heather were a different story. Cody didn't much about Al except that he seemed like a real jerk. He was the typical hot foreign guy all the girls swoon over. Heather was defiantly one of those girls. She was queen bee of the school an ruled with an iron fist. If she didn't like you, he would make your life hell. Cody wasn't really sure if people actually liked her or they were just afraid of her. Either way, he stayed out of her path. That was hard sometimes because Trent and him were good friends. So it was awkward hanging out at his house sometimes knowing that if you slip up, the queen will see it.

     As he watched the group, Noah caught his glance. Cody turned away quickly. He wasn't sure why but he just did. Noah came up to his locker not noticing the strange action.

     "Hey Cody. What's up?"

     "Nothing much," Cody said. He was desperately trying to hide how nervous he was.

     "Sorry I haven't been able to hang out in a while," Noah started to say, "I've just been so busy with-"

     "It's fine," Cody cut him off "I've had plans with Serria anyway." Which wasn't a complete lie. Cody had spent time with his girlfriend; just not as much as he was letting on.

     "Oh alright then. Hey,you say me over there, how come you didn't come over and say hi?" Noah asked curiously.

     "Well because with your friends-" Cody immediately referred those words.

Noah gave him a shocked looked.

     "Cody, you're my friend too." Cody looked down sheepishly. Noah's expression turned from shocked to concern. "Cody, is something wrong?"

     Before Cody could turn to answer, a loud crash. Both boys turned and looked behind them.

The chaotic seen featured a girl with bright red hair kneeling in the floor with multiple papers scattered around her. Heather was angrily staring down at her.

     "Watch where you're going you red-haired freak," she screamed, causing others to laugh, snicker and stare. Cody could only imagine how embarrassed she felt. Heather stepped over her with Katie trailing behind. She strolled up to Noah and tugged at his sleeve.

     "Come on, honey, we're going to be late."

    "I'll be right there babe," Noah said. They kissed and she went off. Noah patted Cody on the shoulder.