7. Compliance

Elaine was sitting in her hotel room for hours now. After spending breakfast time  with Cristofero, he had dropped her off in that room. He had left and Elaine had not asked him where he was going and why. She had witnessed enough from Cristofero to know he would have hurt her if she argued or defied him more that morning. What unsettled her was how serious he had become at breakfast when she had argued with him about how he treated the staff serving them breakfast. She did not dare test Cristofero when he had come close to punish her. He seemed on Edge. De Luca calling his step father Enzo had not sat well with him. So she did not want to push it as Cristofero was not in a good mood.

Elaine was worried about De Luca. Elaine was now sitting on a sofa watching TV but her mind was with what Cristofero had done to his brother for his crime.

A knock came on the door. She turned the TV off and said "Come in." She then gasped as she turned and saw De Luca come in. 

Elaine ran to De Luca who closed the door behind him.

Elaine asked "Are you okay? What did Cristofero do... Did he punish you?"

De Luca nodded and looked away as he winced "It doesnt matter...."

Elaine wasnt sure what had happened to De Luca. She asked worriedly "What did he do to you for talking to your step father?" He seemed in pain.

De Luca stated "He beat me  ... Threw punches until he thought I had enough and learnt my lesson...."

Elaine couldn't see any bruises visible. But then she noticed him rubbing his abdomen. "He punched you in the gut?"

De Luca nodded "That is his favourite part to punch me... It leaves no visible bruises and he thinks it toughens me up to be punched there...." De Luca walked slowly to the sofa as he winced "He kept me waiting in my room making me anticipate my punishment. He just came to my room in the last hour and gave me a long lecture and then gave me a beating. He punched my gut until I begged him to stop... But I didnt have to beg for very long... He had business to attend to... So he asked me to come over and keep you company while he is away on business outside the hotel." He on a sat down on a sofa while he winced.

Elaine walked slowly to him and sat down on a sofa opposite him "Why was he so harsh? You just made a phone call to your step father... That is no crime..."

De Luca said "Disobeying his orders carries a heavy punishment. He would have killed anyone else if they disobeyed him... But trust me... It could be worse...."

Elaine asked "How? How could it be worse?"

De Luca said in a whisper "I didnt call my step father...He called me..."

Elaine gasped "What?"

De Luca said "I took the blame to save Enzo. He is already walking on egg shells with my brother... He doesnt deserve to be hurt for wanting to check on me and  asked me to write to him because he would be sick with worry... He will be guarded... So the men wont give him any letters unless Cristofero orders them to ... I will need to convince Cristofero to let me do that even if he wont let me receive any communication from him. He has made it clear. In the eyes of Critofero, my step father is making me soft... He is so brave making this call when he was not watched closely for a few minutes... He knew this hotel as it's our usual spot.... He took a big risk... But he shouldn't have to... I need to convince my brother to let me write to him to say all is ok..."

Elaine said in a sad tone "I am so sorry De Luca you had to make such a big sacrifice and take a beating because of your step father calling you.... Your life is out of your control..."

De Luca said "This is only the beginning... My brother is going to unleash hell... And I will be forced to endure and witness his extreme approaches and participate in his schemes. His business is going to expand even further in coming months... I guess there are like minded businessmen like him who have extreme methods and are heartless like him..."