Moving On

"What?", a grumpy Abhik asked his manager on the phone only to get a sound of disapproval. Least to say, he was not a morning person, so the phone's ringtone walking him up with not sit well with him.

"Good morning AJ", a sarcastic reply came from the other side. Yes, that is what everyone called him, AJ and maybe you can guess why. Trying saying Abhik in a British accent.......just doesn't work.

"Cut the sarcasm and get to the point why you wish to bring about your death, Alex."

Alex aka Alexander, was his manager. The only trained manager in the Millennium Melodies music company, two years older than Abhik and his first and only friend in the UK in the 2 months he had been staying there.

 Coming to London with the music producer, Henry Langston, from Kolkata, Abhik had learnt that the company he would be joining was relatively new. So new, that he was the first singer to join. But he didn't mind, getting a job and having his talent recognized was enough for him.

"It is 10am and you have still not arrived. I have all the reasons to believe you have forgotten about your wedding gig today.", Alex reminded.

Abhik's eyes widened, all the remaining drowsiness non-existent. How could he have forgotten such an important event as his first big gig?! Something he has been waiting for, for weeks!

"I could never! I am just saving my energy. I will be coming soon, you wait right there.", he shouted into the speaker while hastily making the bed.

"Sure you didn't...", with that the call was cut.

Somehow putting on the best suit he had, off he went to the building which was only a few blocks away from his apartment, on the cycle he had in his time here.

"Finally!", Alex exclaimed, Abhik walked in through the door.

"As if I am late..", he rolled his eyes.

The comment made Alex shove his watch in his friend's face as he said 

"Don't talk over the manager. Here's the order of the songs, go and practice. We leave in an hour."

"Worry not, mate.", Abhik did the most pathetic attempt at a British accent, leaving Alex with an exasperated expression. 

Now alone in the room, he went over the list when his eyes stuck on one song. Perfect by Ed Sheeran....

Cliche wedding song but honestly a really good one. And the memories he had with this song.....

The sunny afternoon, on the terrace on her house, him and Oindrila singing the lines at the top of their voices pretending that those words were their wedding vows.

No longer lived the afternoon, no longer remained the vows, no longer did the promises stay whole. 

Shaking his head hard, Abhik ran his finger through his hair and tried to push his thoughts to the back of his head.

With a glass of champagne in his hands, Abhik watched as the families of the bride and the groom danced their hearts out. Just a few hours before the I Do's where said and not only the bride and the groom but both the families were tied in the relationship where 'until death do them part'.

He was happy, for his performance had gotten positive response and nothing was more important to an artist than their fans.

"Hi!", a chirpy voice interrupted his moment. He turned around to see a smiling girl, in the bridesmaid's dress, probably of Indian Origin.

"I am Pragyaparamita Banerjee, best friend of the bride-", her name surprised him and before she could continue any further he interrupted with,

"Are you Bengali?"

Just when he thought she could not look more cheerful, she smiled even brighter.

"I am! My grandparents were from Bangladesh, my parents born and brought up in India while I, here in the UK. So my Bengali is quite rusty. Why ask?", she explained.

He raised his glass in acknowledgement and said, "I am Abhik Das, Bengali as well. From Kolkata actually."

"Well I just wanted to say you are a great singer! Not to brag or anything, I am sort of a singer myself and I was really impressed. Could I have your Instagram handle? I would love to duet with you someday. Maybe to Perfect, your voice captures the feel of that song beautifully!", she ranted non-stop.

Her last sentence froze something in him, his eyes turned cold. Then he saw Alex gesturing to get going so he turned towards the girl and said,

"Good to know you Pragyaparamita.". He was about to walk away when he heard,

"My friends call me Mia, you should too. See you soon!"

He did not turn around, but an amused smile made a way into his face. She was really something, wanting to be friends with someone she barely knows.

Lying on his bed, Abhik scrolled through his Instagram account, liking the pictures if they were posted by some acquaintance. Suddenly he came across a picture of Oindrila. It was posted by Blue_Clouds, aka, Medha, with a caption saying

'How did Subho get so Lucky?'. 

He scoffed at it

In the picture, Oindrila was having her mehendi done. To think he once believed his names would be written on those hands. But he could not bring himself to hate her. She loved him too, he knew she did, yet situations were not in their favour. Anyways, she looked....happy which made him content.

Looking through the comments, he saw a comment by his Misht- oh right, she was not his anymore. 

'Missing my best friend'

Abhik did not know how to feel about it. Happy that he was remembered or sad that he was publicly friend-zoned?

To avoid the debate between his heart and brain his decided it was best if he stopped for today and went to sleep. That was when a notification came in with a sound.

He looked and it was a friend request by MelodiesInMaking. Going to the person's profile he realised it was none other than the girl he met that evening....what was her name....oh right! Pragyaparamita Banerjee, alias, Mia. So she had indeed managed to find his Instagram.

Giving it a thought, he decided to accept the request. Who knows who she was, just came is life like a ray of sunshine. But for now she made him happy.