XLVI

It didn't take long to walk back to camp, although they walked slower from the lack of motivation to return. By the time they'd began walking back, it was the dead of night, and being in the jungle this late made his skin crawl for some reason. Mist had rolled off the waterfall and down the hillside, covering the jungle floor with a thin layer of foggy dew.
It's almost eerie, but in an elegant presentation.
He felt a hand on the back of his neck, fur spiking immediately; Truffles spun around and hissed at the person behind him.
But nothing was there.
He stared at the nothing for a moment.
What? I was so sure something touched me.

Flippy stopped walking, looking taken aback.
"Are you ok?"

He didn't say anything, hesitant on the answer.
I don't know. Something feels strange, like I'm being watched. But nothing is there, no hand brushed my fur, and yet the feeling felt so real.
That... that stupid shadow has freaked my nerves out. I'm acting foolish; what kind of soldier fears the unknown factors-? Breathe.

"I-I'm fine. Just a little unsure."

"Whatcha unsure about?"

The shadow I saw.
Truffles began walking again, and alongside him Flippy did the same, chattering as they went.
"I... I don't know. Do you feel like we're being... watched, somehow?"

Flippy squinted his eyes, thinking. After a moment, he shook his head.
"No. I think maybe you're just paranoid about us getting caught."

That... That is true but...
Truffles shot him a hurt look. Flippy corrected himself quickly, realizing what he said.
"Yeah, that did sound like gaslighting. Sorry, I didn't mean to invalidate you; how about we just get to camp first? Maybe you'll feel better when you get some sleep."

That's also true, too.
"That... that is true," he agreed. "I haven't been sleeping well."

When do I EVER sleep well? I can't sleep at night and it's frustrating. No matter what I do, I cannot ignore my nocturnal nature, even when I'm exhausted-!
As they crossed the dumping river one by one, both of them landed on soft ground, back into familiar camp territory. The tall grass was just ahead— the camp lying on the other side— and Truffles stepped forward first into the thicket. He heard Flippy behind him, whispering as to not alert the nearby guards.

"I really enjoyed that with you, Truffs. Thank you."

He blushed and quickly buried his face into his uniform collar.
"'Truffs'...?"

"A nickname. I thought you'd maybe dig it."

It's cute, like you.
"...I do. Should I call you 'Flips' in return?"

Flippy snorted, and his hands flew over his mouth to muffle the noise.
"Yes, absolutely."

Truffles smiled and rolled his eyes. Just as they'd came to the edge of the tall grass, a bright light suddenly shown down on them.
Uh oh.
The sound of feet moving forward made both of them stop and crouch down. Unfortunately, it was far too late for that.

"You two there! State your business!"

Truffles exchanged glances with Flippy, then stood up and walked out of the grass into view. An Animalia guard soldier stepped forward, annoyance in the edge of his voice. It was a giraffe of all creatures, spotted and tall in scale. He was taller than even Flippy, perhaps 8 feet tall and muscular. A long scar ran across his face, yet both eyes peered down at him with keen eyesight piercingly cold. He pointed his rifle directly at where Truffles' heart would be, beating in his ribcage faster by the second. Flippy rushed forward and stood next to Truffles, clearly nervous.