Rose 19

Sand was all over the floor

Sand was all over the floor. I think it came through cracks in the walls or from under the doorway. The wind blew it in. It happened when I closed my eyes, so I couldn't risk doing that anymore. Not even to blink because bad things would happen when I wasn't looking.

The wind was blowing so hard that I was sure it would change everything in the world outside. I wanted to go out and stop it from happening, but the door made too much noise and I couldn't wake up Crow because he needed to dream his perfect dreams.

The sounds of the waves were close. It was like they were right outside the door and I was sure the tide was higher than it had ever been in the history of the world. It was awful listening to it because I was sure nothing would be left of the world by the morning. And no one would know what happened. We'd be swept away in the night and it wouldn't matter if I had ever been here. Or ever came here.

...

Ril, I can't keep holding your memories for you. The fortune teller, the eyelashes, and the teardrop. I don't know what to do with them anymore. But it's worse if you forget them. You can't forget them. You can't forget anything. Please tell me you won't. That would be the worst thing you could ever do. I thought each one of them was so important, because you told me they were.

...