17 - Mama Theresa

Confusion and apprehension filled Naomi as she asked, "What are you doing here?"

Anganna's gaze remained fixed on Naomi as she replied, "I'm here to take you home like I promised to."

Naomi's eyes darted between the bulky man in the room, who held the only source of light, and the enigmatic woman before her. "Anganna, I've thought about it, and I've made a decision. I don't want to go back home. I want to stay here with Anthony."

Anganna's brow rose, a mixture of mockery and bewilderment in her expression. "I don't understand."

Anxiety welled up in Naomi, but she couldn't pinpoint the source. This was Anganna, and she believed Anganna was on her side and would never harm her so what was the source of her anxiety and fear? "There's no need for you to understand. I've decided that I'm staying here, and I don't appreciate you barging into my room and pulling this stunt. Please, just leave... and take this man with you."

Anganna's laughter lacked humor, and her smile had vanished. "I wasn't barging in. This isn't your room; you stole it from me."

Confused, Naomi furrowed her brows. "What are you talking about, Anganna?"

Another strained smile touched Anganna's face. "I'm here to take you back home, Naomi. It's for your own good."

Frustration swelled in Naomi, and she exclaimed, "I'm sick and tired of people telling me what they think is good for me. I'll do what I think is best for myself. Please, Anganna, leave."

Anganna's tone grew firm. "Naomi, it's either you come with me, the easy way or the hard way. You choose."

Anxiety coursed through Naomi as she questioned, "Are you threatening me?" She felt a presence behind her, in the silent darkness but pushed her paranoia aside.

"I wouldn't dare," Anganna replied.

"Anganna, leave," Naomi commanded. Her anxiety intensified as she sensed movement behind her. She had no clue who or what it was. She shut her eyes squeezing them to regain her composure as her heart raced, beating violently against her chest.

"Very well, the hard way it is," Anganna declared. Naomi furrowed her brow in confusion.

Suddenly, arms wrapped around Naomi's waist from behind, a shriek escaped her as a cloth covered her mouth. She struggled against her captors, but they held on tightly. As she began to slip into darkness, she heard Anganna's chilling words, "Nobody takes what is mine. Anthony belongs to me."

~~~~

Naomi's eyes felt like they were glued shut as she struggled to pry them open. A sharp pain shot through her skull, and her hand instinctively rose to her head. The bitter wind cut through her clothes, intensifying the ache in her head, and she shivered in discomfort.

The world appeared blurry as her eyes darted across the empty streets, illuminated only by the moon. In the distance, the haunting hoot of an owl echoed through the stillness. The soil beneath her seemed to claw at her bare flesh, and her tattered clothes bore evidence of pits, pats of grass, and clinging sand.

As her vision momentarily cleared, she took in the broken street lamps, the overgrown trees, and the eroded soil. Familiarity washed over her, and with a determined effort, she forced herself up, only to emit a squeal of agony as pain shot through her legs. She stumbled back to the floor, her hands landing on the scar that ran down her leg.

Slowly and cautiously, she rose once more, hopping on one leg. The odd scent of polluted air scratched violently against her nostrils, and the sight of broken-down houses etched itself into her memory.