chapter one- a happy ending

warnings: strong language, sexual references, rude humor, mentions of blood/bleeding, slight kissing, slight insensitivity

song to listen to: bubblegum bitch, marina&the diamonds

~~~~~

"Yesterday, I asked you to think about the first time your mutation manifested." Doctor Reyes says, looking around at the five of us. "Would anyone like to share?" She goes around saying our names, and I make a point to not look at her as I adjust my shirt, taking a deep breath.

Now, I thought about it. I thought deeply about the first time my powers manifested. I think about my powers and what I've done with them every single minute of every single day. But nobody is entitled to that information; not even Illyana, and she's my twin. Her being my twin also means she already knows all of what I've done, but the point still stands. I don't need to share anything about myself, and Reyes isn't going to force me to.

"Look, we can't help each other unless we talk to each other." Reyes puts her clipboard on her lap, looking at all of us in the patronizing way she always does. Illyana and I roll our eyes in unison; a twin thing. "I've said this a hundred times. This program can't help you if you refuse to participate. So, Rahne, why don't you start?"

The door creaks open and I sit up in my chair, leaning forward as the new girl walks into the room. All of our eyes land on her, and I don't take mine away from her as she awkwardly sits down.

"This is our new patient, Danielle Moonstar." Reyes introduces her, and Roberto bursts out into laughter. I roll my eyes at him.

"Oh...it's serious." He says, but only after Reyes gives him a look.

"Let's do our best to make her feel at home." Reyes tells all of us, and I look at Danielle Moonstar. Moonstar. What type of last name is Moonstar?

"I'd get out while you can, new girl." I tell her, and Reyes clears her throat. If looks could kill, I'd probably be injured right now. She can't kill me.

"Raiya. Watch your tone." She tells me before turning back to Rahne, tilting her head ever so slightly to the side. "Rahne, go on."

I tune out Rahne's story once she says that she was thirteen. It isn't due to the fact that she was thirteen when her powers manifested, it's that I don't need to hear everything about everyone here. I don't need to hear everybody's trauma, or their pity story. I don't care about it. I don't care about Roberto's story, I don't care about Rahne's story, and I most certainly do not care for Danielle's story. The only story I want from her is how she got her last name, because...that is a weird one.