Chp 2: A Jar and a Metal Rod (Revised)

Lan Wangji started curling up in a corner as he continued to brush quietly the tears off of his face.Scrambling to get his long black hair out of the way that was blocking his vision.All of this movement caused his wooden drawer beside him to shake. 

The sudden sound of clatter made him lift his head. 

Thump, jingle jingle. A silver bell rolled up to his foot. 

In this silver, there was a nine petal lotus engraved. He started to calm as he bent his back to reach the bell. The purple tassel attached to the lower-end felt light and smooth on his palm.He started clutching the round silver bell as he remembered it rattling, worn on a black belt. 

His sword unsheathed pointed at a teenage boy who seems to be around his age.He chased the boy around, his ears subconsciously enjoying the rhythm of their robes brushing against each other. 

The boy swift, but carelessly dodging where his blade was headed. Indeed a talented young man.The sounds that the boy's bell was making was like music to Lan Wangji's ears. 

Annoying, bothersome, noisy. He hated it. He'd silenced the young master who kept talking without pause.

His loud irritating voice were now the only comfort Lan Wangji found as it was all silenced with the melodies of a flute.Right, the flute... I need it...Along with the bell, rolled a jar. A jar of emperor's smile. 

He stared at it for a moment, like it was his rival in love. This wine seems to be way better than him. Far greater than him.

The next thing Lan Wangji knew was him picking up the jar made out of clay and chugging it all down.Never had he thought that he would come to drink wine, a glass could make him drunk. Yet, he does not remember stopping a second from the lack of breath. 

His vision was all fogged as he tried to stand, with his shaky legs, and trembling hands gripping tight on his drawer for support.Slide, he slid the door open and every step he took echoed through the silent night. The leaves were quiet, the wind was faint, and he himself was muted.

Stealing glances around him hoping to hear the soft giggles of a boy sneaking in lurking stealthily in the darkness.Sadly enough, all he heard was voiceless night. 

Thump, the silence was too silent. He could hear his own heart beating, his own breath shaking.

"Hng..." He tripped on a broken floorboard but had the wall support him. His head was aching and his heart felt heavy. 

He leaned on the wall wearing a distressed expression before starting to walk away.

Thump, thump, "Wasn't that Hanguang-Jun?" whispered a disciple with a hand covering his mouth. "But we're the ones on patrol tonight." shrugged another disciple. "I heard he was supposed to be in seclusion..." the three voices grew farther.

Thump, thump, thump, his breathing was unsteady. clack.

He opened the door revealing a dark room full of wooden crates and old chests with the Cloud Recesses' cloud motif engraved lightly on them. Along with the neatly folded white cloths placed on top a few of the boxes. 

His head continued to ache, and his heart not once felt light. He took a step forward the said crates and chests before taking the white fabric on top of them and tossing them aside. He opened each of them impatiently, taking everything out one by one and throwing them all over the place.

Just a few minutes later and he was already angrily kicking and pushing the emptied crates aside. The storage room was a mess. He threw everything, alarming the disciples on patrol by the noise. 

Lan Wangji crouched down rummaging through everything. "Wangji?" A voice crept up from behind Lan Wangji. A shadow entered the door, "Wangji, what are you doing here in the storage room?' Lan Xichen asked as his eyes wandered through the room that looked like a wild animal came to tear the place apart.

Lan Wangji looked up and called out silently, "Chen-ge..." sniffle. Lan Xichen's eyes widened as he inhaled what seems to be the smell of wine. "Did you drink? What are you doing?" Lan Xichen was shocked, though he tried not to show.

Lan Wangji looked back down and continued searching, "I can't find..." he mumbled loud enough for Lan Xichen to hear. "What are you looking for?' He asked as he took a step closer Lan Wangji. 

Lan Wangji opened another crate, "Flute" he said, straight from the heart. "Flute?" Lan Xichen knelt down opening a crate himself. "Is it this one?" He asked holding a white flute made up of quartz in front of Lan Wangji who answered back a, "It's not." to Lan Xichen.

Lan Wangji looked at Lan Xichen who was kneeling beside him. Lan Xichen felt overwhelmed and pressured, "H-how about this one?" he stuttered lifting his hand, "It is the finest flute made of-" Lan Wangji  threw the flute away. Lan Xichen was taken aback. "I can not find it." He spoke to himself. 

Lan Xichen was speechless and just stared at Lan Wangji trying to figure out what kind of flute he was possibly looking for. "I still cannot find it." He turned his back on Lan Xichen, to find a metal rod. 

Lan Xichen looked down to continue searching, though he had a feeling that whatever his younger brother was looking for, it was not here.

Lan Wangji held the Qishan Wen Clan's Branding Iron which was confiscated from the Wens. He shared no thought, as he promptly pressed the branding iron below his left collarbone. He groaned which made Lan Xichen turn, "Wangji?" all he saw was his brother's trembling shoulders. 

Clang, the metal rod fell on to the floor making Lan Xichen jump.

^-^_^-^_^-^_^-^_^-^_^-^_^-^_^-^_^-^_^-^_^-^_^-^_^-^_^-^_^-^

Revised: March 14, 2024

Note: My deepest apologies, I've changed so much.