Chp 4: A Widower's Window

The sun had finally set. Lan Xichen could see the mess on the ground. Lan Wangji seemed to have been trying to carve up something.

Stunned, Lan Xichen refused to believe that the child on the bed was his brother's. "What are you talking about? Who is his mother?" He was worried that his younger brother had impregnated a woman before marriage.

"Wei Ying." Lan Wangji replied, soft yet coldly. Lan Xichen sighed in relief, thinking Lan Wangji wasn't serious. "Wangji... is this Wei- Gongzi's child?"  Shortly, he realized his brother's intentions.

His eyes widened. "Surely you're not thinking of what I'm thinking, right...?" He was asking for assurance. Yet, Lan Wangji only stared at Lan Xichen. Not uttering a word. But as always, Lan Xichen knew what he was trying to say and sighed.

***

The warm and peaceful breeze from the Cloud Recesses was present as always. In front of Lan Qiren, sat his most favorite disciple. And supposedly... his child?!

"Wangji! What is the meaning of this?" Lan Qiren raised his voice, almost forgetting the rules himself.

"Shufu... Please hear Wangji out..." Lan Xichen spoke in a gentle tone, trying to ease up the tension surrounding the room. If only Lan Wangji hadn't asked for help, Lan Xichen wouldn't have to be here.

Wen Yuan held on to Lan Wangji's robes as he trembled in fright behind him. "Shufu, I want to give this child the Lan surname." Lan Wangji spoke straightforwardly. He simply wanted one thing.

This time, minding the tone of his voice, Lan Qiren asked. "Wait, I don't understand. Why?" Concerned, he was starting to get nervous waiting for Lan Wangji's answer.

After a few seconds, Lan Wangji explained. "He is my son." Lan Qiren was on the verge of losing it. He was about to scold Lan Wangji. Until his eyes focused on Lan Xichen, who was shaking his head abruptly.

Lan Qiren read Lan Xichen's lips, saying, "Shufu.. please..!" His eyes spoke, saying that this child was an inch close to rebel and run away.

He let out a big sigh as he brushed his goatee. He then lifted his teacup and asked. "So, who is his mother?"

Lan Qiren's anger was visibly noticeable. Still, he tried his best to control his rage, covering his angered face by taking a sip from his tea. "Wei Ying." Lan Wangji responded.