Chapter 18 (Yara): Overnight Accommodations

Copyright © 2024 by GroveltoHEA

I left strict instructions for the children's bodyguard to keep Carter and Louise in the play room until I came up to get them myself. My overactive imagination had Carmen coming into the house, armed like Rambo, demanding King step back from the hostile takeover. That was part of the reason I insisted my bodyguard stop Carmen before she came into the house and frisk her. If Carmen didn't want to be frisked, she could just leave. Best possible outcome. The other part was to simply annoy the hell out of Carmen.

I'd told Mel to leave the front door open just a smidge. Only so I could hear if Mel needed help and not because I wanted to hear Carmen whine and protest being frisked before she could come into the house.

Mel had laughed at me and told me she'd even use a funky little flashlight she had to wave over Carmen as a pretend handheld metal detector. 

"Give her hell," I said to Mel, right before she went out to intercept Carmen. Sure enough, Carmen wasn't pleased with the greeting committee of one waiting for her on the porch.

"You're not frisking me. Let me in."

"Then I'm sorry, ma'am, but you aren't coming in and you'll need to get back in your car and leave the estate grounds."

"This is ridiculous."

"Regardless of your opinion, I have my instructions. Ma'am."

"Henry ordered this?"

Mel stayed silent.

"This is wrong. I'm not doing this. Tell Henry I'm outside."

Mel continued the silent treatment.

"Did you hear me? Tell Mr. Kingston that Carmen's here!"

Sometimes, the easiest thing in the world was to ramp someone up without saying a word.

"I'm going in and if you try to stop me, I'll sue."

"Ma'am, fair warning, this encounter and every word is being recorded as of this second. If you attempt to get past me and enter the domicile, I'll be forced to taser you. Have you ever been tasered, ma'am?"

"You wouldn't dare!"

"Ma'am, if I'm forced to taser you, you'll lose control of all bodily functions, vomit uncontrollably for up to twelve hours and, in rare instances, suffer from side effects that include bleeding from your ears, brain matter seeping out your nose and other symptoms that closely mimic the bubonic plague. Strange things happen when you mess with the body's central nervous system."

Mel was totally getting a raise because this was some top notch acting with the way she was making shit up on the fly.

"That's...no way...if those things happened, they'd be illegal."

"Ma'am, I'm going to ask you once again. Do I have your permission to frisk you and use my handheld metal detector on you or are you going to leave? I have to say, I hope you choose the taser option because this is already eating up my time, and I'm not sure how to account for dealing with uncooperative mid-fifties woman on my timesheet."

I was doubling Mel's salary, no doubt about it.

"I need to see Mr. Kingston! And I'm nowhere near my mid-fifties!"

"Then you won't have any trouble assuming the position at your age. Arms up on the wall and legs at least two feet apart."

Carmen was quiet while Mel frisked her and then, I assumed, waved the flashlight over her.