Meeting

Violet

I crawled out of the elevator, the stranger helping me up by my legs, the firemen pulling me by my arms. Landing back into an open space immediately freed my lungs and I drew in a full breath, something I hadn't realized I needed. After I'd finally got my bearings and answered all the firemen's questions (including where the pregnant woman was), I looked around to find my unexpected companion and thank him for distracting me and being such good company. Our time in the elevator had passed so quickly and I was grateful for him. I'd moved down one side of the hallway with the firemen, and looking down the other side of the hall, I saw him standing with a group of people, holding my backpack. Oh yeah... Forgot about that.

I collected myself and walked over to him, a little nervous. We'd gotten to know each other a bit and as much as I didn't want a guy in my life, I wasn't going to deny he'd been interesting to me. We looked at each other as he approached, and I briefly noticed he'd changed his sweater.

"Hey Chris," I started. "Thanks for remembering my-"

And then the real Chris turned around, his back having just been facing me. I'd disregarded his green sweater because I'd clearly seen his face in this other guy. I didn't realize there was gunna be TWO of them.

"-Jesus," I exclaimed, startled and interrupting myself. They were very literally identical. The same set of striking eyes, dark messy hair, pale skin and high cheekbones, smiling at me closed-lipped. "Holy fuck, sorry I thought you were Chris." I felt our eyes tethered as I looked into eyes of someone I'd never met. "Wow the resemblance is freaky," I chuckled at my word vomit.

This boy was severe and stone-faced. My eyes tried to find the differences between them, but struggled in that short moment. It was the way they felt that distinguished them. While Chris had a light energy, this one's felt dark. My first impression of him was he was moody and sullen.

"Yeah, sorry," his brother grumbled, clearly unhappy with something. He held out my bag for me and I accepted it, thanking him and pulling it on. "There's actually three of us. But Chris should've told you that already," he added, giving his brother a look of disapproval. My confusion was immediate, and as I turned to Chris to ask what he meant, Chris answered for me.

"Violet, this is Matt. Our brother Nick was just here a minute ago, he went back to the conference room. I think...we're the clients you're meeting today," he admitted, rubbing his nose in guilt. The motion reminded me of a little boy, caught red handed breaking the rules and knowing it.

I tilted my head as I looked between them. Huh. Well that changes shit.

"Oh wow..." I sighed, processing that information, along with the fact that there was a literal carbon copy of Chris standing in front of me and yet another one not in the room at the moment. "I probably should've asked you more personal questions then, huh?" I breathed out a small laugh. I wasn't upset, just trying to take in that this guy I'd just bonded with was potentially gunna be my boss, and that there were more of him.

He smiled at me, closed-lipped and suddenly bashful. "Sorry, I should've told you. I hope you don't hold it against us" he said, lifting his hat to run his hands in his hair. Fuck it was attractive when he did that. I wished he'd stop. "I just didn't want to make you more nervous."

"Well," I breathed in deeply. "It worked. That was a good idea." I felt awkwardness rising and decided to squash it. "But as my future employer, I wanna let you know your office building has a shit elevator."