Tension

Violet

In the dark backyard of the party, I found myself lit up from the inside out. I was playing with fire and I knew it. I sat in my patio chair around the glass table, all the seats taken, some by people I knew well, some by people I'd never met before that night. The air looked navy and maroon, the vibe tasted like root beer, the mood felt like corduroy. It wasn't a warm night, but my hoodie was enough to keep me perfect. I sipped my beer as my eyes crossed the backyard to where the guys stood in a loose circle, Maverick and their friend Beck there with them, talking and just chilling, although I was too far to make out what they were saying.

From my seat, I had a perfect view of the boys. Nick was sitting at the table with me, deep in conversation with the guy I didn't know. I took a sip from my beer as I let myself admire Matt. His dark hair was a perfect mess, his jaw peppered in that perfect amount of stubble that made me want to feel it against me, a toothpick in his mouth that made me want to fucking scream. His grey hoodie matched his light jeans and white sneakers, a carabiner clipped to the belt loop in his jeans, dangling his car keys. Hot motherfucker. I wanted to slap him for being so pretty.

My eyes transferred over to Chris then, his white beanie pushing his hair out around his chiseled face, a navy crewneck draped long and around his wrists, and camo cargo pants that made him look slouchy and huggable. I pictured his back, his smooth skin and his beauty mark that looked like a lipstick mark. Images of pressing kisses to his torso flooded my imagination and I mentally slapped myself to regain my focus.

The two of them looked like an absolute fucking meal standing beside each other, and I let out a sigh as I watched them across the backyard, my mind filtering through questionable thoughts of them both.

Just then, Chris reached up to wipe the sides of his lips, and flicked his eyes to Matt's for a beat longer than was casual. My senses perked up as I noticed something different about that look... I didn't recognize it, but I knew they didn't look happy.

Matt spoke to Maverick, and I couldn't hear what he was saying, but I could tell he was irritated. Chris listened with complete intensity, their eyes locked on my old friend. Maverick replied and I could sense in his body language he was getting pissed off. Out of instinct, my hand reached out without looking away, taking hold of Nick's arm. I felt him turn to look at me, but I just held him while I kept my eyes peeled on the boys. He stopped talking to his friend, followed my eye line and watched in silence with me.

Maverick said something then and Matt just nodded, a smile on his face that was all malice, then reached out suddenly and pushed his shoulders. Nick and I moved to stand in sync, both of us realizing what was unfolding. A chorus of "what the fucks" and "yo chills" chorused from the guys in the circle, as Maverick threw his red cup to the side and shoved Matt back. Chris stepped into the empty space between them and looked right into Maverick's eyes as he spoke, the rage and intensity in his gaze so strong that it immediately scared me. Nick and I beelined towards them, him reaching them before I did, stepping between his brothers and Maverick, pushing them apart gently.

"Watch your fucking mouth, kid," Chris threatened, and my fear maximized as I approached, finally able to make out what they were saying.

"Get the fuck out of my house, pussies, all three of you," Maverick spat back and I felt genuine shock at his words. I'd never heard him talk like that before.

"This is your daddy's house, you little bitch," Nick snapped back.

"What the fuck, Mav!?" I questioned, finally stepping into his view, glancing at Chris and Matt up close before looking to him. The two of them didn't look at me, only at Maverick, clearly fuming and angrier than I'd ever seen them.

"I didn't realize you had two boyfriends now, Vi. I always thought you were a good girl," Mav turned his poison towards me then, his eyes hooded and the smell of booze reaching me with only a few words.

"You're clearly drunk. You have no idea how rude that was so I'm walking away now," I announced, turning and heading out of the backyard, hoping that would be the end of it.

"Good, get the fuck out. Slut," he spat at me, and I didn't look back. Just rolled my eyes and kept walking when I heard yelling break out behind me.

I turned instantly, finding Maverick stumbling back as Matt's' fist connected with his jaw, Chris' hand reaching out to grab the back of his brother's hoodie. Maverick fell to his back on the grass and Matt immediately dropped on top of him, laying one more into his face.

"MATT STOP!" I screamed, not knowing what the actual fuck to do, covering my mouth in my hand. Nick reached to grab him by one arm and Chris by the other.

As he was pulled back to his feet, Matt wiped his face on his sleeve as Maverick rolled on the grass, nursing his face. I made to approach my friend, stunned by what had just happened between them all, but Nick intervened before I could get closer to him.

"He's so drunk, Violet, let's just leave," he told me, taking my hand to pull me away from the scene, and following after Matt and Chris who had just stormed out of the backyard. I looked to Nick as he took the lead, processing everything too slowly to know how to react. He led me by the hand out of the backyard, then turned to put his arm around me as we walked along the side of the house.

"What a fucking asshole!" He exclaimed and I looked up at him, my great mood from earlier completely gone, replaced only with shock and confusion.