The last before the death... or is it

My score was low. As expected, after my performance in the training area. In the scoring session, my performance was low. I tried, which was the important fact I thought. Yet as I looked at the five on my screen in my capital-assigned room I felt defeated. No target was on my back, but it was a forgettable, unremarkable score.

Seeing that score and not knowing I can theoretically apply it may have been helpful. Giving me an advantage over other tributes, my low score yet my high ability to apply the trade I know so well, butchering. Yet with no physical ability to do so, I felt lost. 

I had muscle, sure, and the will to attempt to win. Yet going up against the district's finest and strongest, trained to kill. to be up against a psychopath was daunting, and I was going to be doing just that in a matter of days.  The odds of my death were high, and my will to live low, but I had to try, even to prove my district wrong, to prove my mentor wrong. 

I was sat on the Capitol's grand stage, dazzling with bright lights and elaborate decorations. The audience, filled with excited Capitol citizens, buzzes with anticipation. Caesar Flickerman, the charismatic and flamboyant host, stands ready to introduce the tributes. His smile is as bright as his sequined suit, and his energy is infectious. I couldn't pay attention to the other interview, too busy planning how to make myself appear, unnoticed. I could do that easily; I had been doing it for years after all.

Caesar Flickerman's voice boomed loudly "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the 74th Annual Hunger Games Tribute Interviews! We meet the brave young men and women who will compete for glory in the arena tonight. Let's give a warm Capitol welcome to our next tribute, from District 10, Kane Casia!"

The crowd erupts into applause as I step onto the stage. I am wearing a stunning dress that sparkles under the lights, designed by my stylist, when I was put into it, I was surprised that it actually looked good, after my horrendous first appearance in a skimpy cow costume. She takes a deep breath, trying to steady her nerves, and approaches Caesar.

Caesar, ever the loving host, always tries to make the tributes feel more at ease, always trying to make them feel better about the odds of their deaths, "Kane, I must say, you look absolutely radiant tonight!"

All I could do was thank him "Thank you, Caesar."

Caesar says in a hushed voice, as if he was sharing a little secret, he was not. "Now, Kane, the people of the Capitol want to get to know the girl the score. Tell us, what do you think about when you're at home, how did you feel about scoring a 6?"

I answer honestly, for once I feel the need to be, chess only works when you gamble as well, "I think about earning enough to survive, that I need to work every day," maybe I can make them feel sorry for me, maybe not. It doesn't hurt to try, "when I got my score I cried in disappointment, I know I don't have the best odds but I'm going to do everything I can to survive, just like I do at home, it's my secret talent."

It's not, but he doesn't need to know that does he?

Caesar places a comforting hand on my shoulder. "we shouldn't go revealing our secrets now should we?"

"I thought that was all you wanted me to do Ceaser?" I say cheekily, trying to get some personality across. I probably failed and look like a fool, but it cant hurt to try.

Caesar asks, instead of acknowledging the cheek. " If you could say anything to your family right now, what would it be?"

I take a deep breath in before answering, knowing that I have to sell this lie, make it believable to get some once of pity from the sponsors. "I would tell them to stay strong and not to worry about me. I'll do my best to come back home."

The audience applauds, some even shedding a tear at her heartfelt words. Caesar beams at me and leads the applause as I walk off the stage.