two - introducing me

"HARLOW, YOU SHOULD HAVE seen yourself," Tomika says, her voice gleeful, "how that car honked, you jumped, and that step was there to take you out." She laughs as we walk around the side of the school. I'm okay physically, but my pride is definitely wounded, especially since Tomika keeps giving me the play-by-play of what exactly happened to me. "Wow, that was amazing. Thanks for that."

"You're welcome," I say drily. Glancing over at my Mom, I see a frown spreading across her pretty face, looking unnatural. I nudge her with my elbow, but she doesn't look at me at all. "Mom, aren't you going to defend your own daughter?"

She remains silent as we walk forward, our footfalls and the engines revving the only sound in the air right now, which is a relief from Tomika's laughter. I'm not sure why she isn't paying attention to us, but she isn't, and that's weird. Tomika and I share a look, but she doesn't say anything, so neither do I. Maybe Mom is thinking about something important. Whatever she's thinking, it's best to let her be.

As we walk forward, my mind wanders to all the new names Tomika told me last night. I have met Summer before since she's Tomika's bestest friend in the entire world, and I think she's pretty cool. I love her style, so I think it'd be awesome if she told me how she styles her uniform for school. Then, Tomika told me about Lawrence, the nerdy boy with a lisp and glasses. He sounds like a nice guy, and I'm excited to meet him. Freddy was the next on the list, and according to Tomika, he's a pretty boy who is obsessed with his hair. She even showed me a photo she had of him looking in a mirror, messing with his hair, and she isn't wrong with her description of him. Finally, there are the twins, Zack and Riley, who are both incredibly smart.

Her friend group is very big, and while I'm excited to meet them all, it's also quite nerve-wracking to go into a group like this. Tomika has assured me many times that her friends are nice and will like me, but I'm not sure. I know for a fact that I'm not the easiest person to like or get along with, especially when I am in new situations, but hopefully that doesn't stop me from making new friends.

A warm breeze blows through the campus of the school as Mom, Tomika, and I near the front of the building. Chatter hits my ears as kids my age walk into the school together, enjoying their company. My heart swells at the sight, and to be honest, I'm sort of excited to be starting anew here at William B. Travis Prep School. My time at my old school wasn't anything I could say I was particularly proud of since I was laying low, hardly doing my homework. I was stuck there, but here, I feel like I'll be able to be myself. At least, I hope that's true.

"Tomeeks!" a high-pitched voice says happily. My head whips up, and I see a blonde girl running toward Tomika like she hasn't seen her in years. Wrapping my cousin up in a bone-crushing hug, Summer Hathaway looks over Tomika's shoulder, her eyes widening when she sees my Mom and I stop suddenly behind Tomika. She let go of my cousin, smiling. "Tomika, you didn't tell me that your cousin was starting school today."

"I thought I told you that yesterday," Tomika says, rubbing the back of her neck. She doesn't meet my eyes, which tells me everything I need to know. She didn't warn her friends that I was starting school today. Instead of showing my hurt, I force a smile on my face as Summer walks forward. "Anyway, Summer, this is Harlow Velasco, my cousin, and her mother, Kienna Velasco."

"Hi, I'm Summer Hathway," she says, sticking her hand out to my mom. This time, Mom is paying attention and shakes Summer's hand with a wide smile on her face. Mom hasn't met Summer before, so this is the first time she's meeting her. "I've heard a lot about you. Aren't you the younger sister to Tomika's mom?"

"Yes, I am," Mom says, laughing for a second. "It's so nice to meet you, Summer."

"And you," Summer says, facing me with a huge summery grin on her face, "I know you." She pulls me into a quick hug. I'm surprised that she's hugging me, but I do remember Tomika telling me that she's a hugger. "How are you doing, Harlow? Are you excited to come to this school?"