twenty five -- boy gets a truck

THE PLASTIC TRAY IN my hands starts to grow heavy as I help Zack carry it out to the courtyard at school. On top are seven tall cups of his newly blended food, looking so atrocious in the early afternoon sunlight. The smell casually floats up to me, and I bite back a groan -- and a little vomit. He pauses beside me as a group of people push past us, and I clear my throat. 

"So," I say, trying to find my voice, "what is this exactly for?"

"I made an amazing find a few nights ago when I decided to blend all my food together," he says excitedly. He pats my shoulder, nearly knocking the tray out of my hands. A bad feeling settles in the pit of my stomach when I notice his empty hands, and I grit my teeth. Of course, the genius couldn't carry his own food -- his girlfriend has to. "I wanted you to try it, but you flaked out on our date last night."

My mind goes back in time, and my steps falter slightly. It takes me a moment to get all the cups balanced again, though I'm half tempted to let them fall to the ground. The last few days, I've been struggling -- with what? I'm not so sure. Mom's been in a mood, I've been in a mood, and I know we're bringing down Tomika and her family. We've been in their house for nearly a year now, and it's about time for us to find our own place. 

But, last night . . . last night, I knew I had a date with Zack. I got ready in a pair of high-waisted jeans embroidered with little butterflies along the seams and a cute lavender shirt with a swoop neckline. I tied my white Converse to my feet, wrapped a thin necklace with a butterfly charm around my neck, even put on some blush that Mom owns, and then went to the door. I could still feel the cool metal doorknob underneath my hand and hear Mom and Aunt Milani talking about my father, and then I made a snap decision. 

I needed to listen to the conversation my mom and aunt had about my father when they thought I wasn't paying attention the other day. 

"Sorry about that," I say, clearing my throat, and pulling me back to the present. We exit the school, and a blast of warm air hit me in the face. My mood immediately sours, and I nearly curse under my breath. Who knew that Texas would stay so warm throughout the year? "I wasn't feeling well, that's all."

Out of the corner of my eye, I see him give me a strange look. I hate lying to him, but I also don't feel comfortable talking about my father, the man who didn't want to be part of my life to someone I have hardly known. I know, I know, that sounds horrible, especially considering that Zack is my boyfriend, but I've never told anyone about my father, and I'm not starting now. Not with him.

Besides, I need to think about what Aunt Milani and Mom said about Dad. 

"Why is it that I'm carrying your creation?" I ask as we make it to our usual table. Tomika is squished on one side of Freddy while Riley sits on the other, and Summer and Lawrence sit across from them. I slide the tray on the metal table before focusing my gaze on Zack. His face is drawn tight, and I can't read what's going on in his head. "Did you break your arms, or what?" I grin at him, but he doesn't quite smile back. "I'm just kidding." Sort of. 

"Sorry, Harlow, I just wanted you to carry it for me," he says, blinking once. He sits down in front of the tray, not looking at me. Instead, he's looking at all of our friends, and I get the vibe that this is more for them than it is for me. "I'm excited, that's all."

"Hey, Zack, Harlow," Freddy says, smiling at the both of us. He has a big hearty plate of spaghetti sitting in front of him, and I immediately regret helping Zack with his pureed food. My stomach growls a little bit as I look at the tray I just set down. "Aren't you two eating?"

"Nah, I'm good," Zack says. His voice brims with excitement, and I know he's just waiting for someone to ask him about the tray that we brought.

"That's surprising, coming from you. You eat us out of house and home all the time," Riley tells him with a laugh. She leans casually against Freddy's shoulder, her arm slipped through his. I can't help but wonder why Zack doesn't try to hold my hand or even kiss me like I've seen Riley and Freddy do.