Chapter 13

Akemi almost forgot to get her luggage in her haste to get off the train and out onto the platform because she was sure she had seen a short woman with a purple butterfly clip in her hair. She grabbed the edge of the door and raced back inside, blasting past the poor train attendant as she hurried to get Moriko's bags. With her gear gathered, she reminded herself that Moriko didn't run around like that. She didn't rush. Akemi took a deep breath, straightened up, and got off the train with a serious intent that she hoped mirrored his sister's demeanor.

However, she could help turning back and forth, hoping to spot her mom before she found her. She wanted a second to look at her—

"There you are." A hand came down on her shoulder, and she jumped, her own hand flying up to smack the one on her shoulder.

A young woman with pigtails stared down at her, a frown on her face. "Geez, it's just me."

Just me. Umm...Akemi tried not to look confused as she struggled to place her face then—bright blue butterfly clips, annoyed expression— "Sorry, Aoi," she said, affecting Moriko's softer version of guilt, "I was startled."

Aoi smiled at her a bit, though the frown wrinkle didn't completely go away. "I guess I shouldn't have snuck up on you."

"It's fine," Akemi said. Did she look like Moriko? Well, she knew she looked like Moriko, but she had to remember to stand like her and use her expressions and—

"How was camp? I thought for sure that you were going to get Sanemi to go get you."

Sanemi—Moriko's/her uncle. Akemi shook her head, the dark blue butterfly clip in her braided hair bobbing. "It was more enjoyable than I believed it was going to be when I departed."

Aoi's expression softened. "I'm glad you liked it." She wrapped an arm around Akemi's shoulders and gave her a hug. "Are you ready to go home?"

"Yes, I'd like that," Akemi said, holding onto the luggage and looking around again, wondering where her mom had gone.

She saw a petite woman walking toward them, graceful and beautiful and smiling and everything Akemi imagined she would be. Akemi drew in a breath and held it as her mom came closer. She resisted the urge to run into her arms.

Aoi released her shoulders and pointed to Akemi's nose. "She's got a sunburn. Don't they have sunscreen at that camp?"

Akemi brushed her fingertips across her slightly pink nose. It wasn't that bad, it had happened at the lake the day before—

"You made it, success!" Her mom said, clapping her hands together once. "Moriko Kochou survived the entire camp, we have to celebrate."

Tears stung Akemi's eyes, and she had to bite down on her bottom lip. She had imagined this day a million times throughout her life, and even though she was pretending to be Moriko, it still felt nice that her mom was excited to see her.

Her mom stopped short, surprise in her gaze. "Moriko? Honey?"

Akemi couldn't stop her tears. Roughly, she brushed the bottom of her palm across her eyes. "It's—hi—"

Slender arms wrapped around her and drew her in close. She was surrounded by the smell of lavender and jasmine and all sorts of flowers. Her mom rested her cheek against the top of Akemi's head. "That was a long time away from home, wasn't it?"

"So long," Akemi got out, appalled that she was about to blow her cover. Moriko wouldn't cry like this, would she? She pressed her face into her mom's shoulder and then forced herself to stop bawling. "I'm sorry, this isn't—I didn't mean to cry."

Her mom kissed her forehead and brushed away her tears. Akemi struggled to not start crying all over again. "It's all right. You don't have to go again next year if you don't want to."

"That's..." Wait, she had no idea if Moriko would want to go back to camp again or not. She had to dodge the question. "I'll think about it. I mostly had a good time." Now that was true for both of them, after they figured everything out in the Cooperation Cabin. "I'm just really happy to see you."

Her mom laughed and hugged her again, rubbing her back. "I'm really happy to see you too, I missed you." She huffed, a lock of her hair flying upwards. "It was weird without you."

"Was it?" Akemi asked, leaning against her side as they started to walk toward the stairs, her mom wheeling the luggage bag. Aoi fell into step on her other side.

00000000000

"Very," Shinobu said, "Also, before I forget, Mitsuri said to tell you hello. Kanao wanted to come but she had a class. She might be home by the time we get there." Kanae and Aoi lived in the same apartment building at Shinobu and Akemi, though they lived on the floor above them.

"How is the cat café?" Moriko asked, "Did any of the cats get adopted?"

"I'm not sure," Shinobu said. For the most part, except when she was dropping off or picking up her daughter, she avoided the café. While she was friends with Mitsuri, she wasn't friends with the cats. "You'll have to ask the next time you see Mitsuri."

"I shall," Moriko said with a stern little nod that made Shinobu's heart swell with affection. She really had been a little lost without her daughter. Even though the rest of her family was around, it was different. Being without Moriko was like being without her right hand. "Can I go in the day after tomorrow? Perhaps we could spend the day tomorrow together, if you have the time?"

Shinobu smiled. "I already took the day off." She had hoped that Moriko would want to do something together after she had been gone for so long. "We can do whatever you'd like."

"I would be happy with anything," Moriko said.

Aoi lifted an eyebrow. "Anything?"

"Almost anything," Moriko amended. "But maybe we could make a plan tonight?"

"You want to make an itinerary?" Shinobu asked, her own eyebrow raising.

"Just a few ideas," Moriko said, "So we have a plan for the day."

"Sure," Shinobu said, "We could do that." Moriko was always organized, but she usually let Shinobu plan their outings. This was a fun turn of events. "We can look up some places to go and things to do tonight."

"Maybe Kanao and I could join you for lunch," Aoi said, "And maybe Kanae and the kids."

"I'd love that," Moriko said with a flash of a smile.

Shinobu would, too. She didn't mind sharing her daughter with the rest of the family, as long as she got to hang out with her first. Also, she wanted to make sure that she really was all right. It wasn't as if Moriko never showed emotions, but she couldn't remember the last time Moriko had cried in front of anyone but herself and maybe Kanae, Kanao, or Sanemi. It must have been the relief of coming home after a long day of travel? Shinobu squeezed Moriko's shoulders, and her daughter leaned into her. It was so nice having her home.

Aoi reached over and tugged Moriko's braid. "Hold on...is your hair shorter?"

Oh...it did look shorter...

Moriko blushed with embarrassment and pulled the braid away. "That's a story I'll have to tell at lunch tomorrow."

Aoi let go of the braid and met Shinobu's glance. That was going to be a very interesting story, seeing how Moriko hated getting her hair cut. "I'll be waiting," Aoi teased.

Moriko nodded and reached up to touch the end of her hair. It seemed that maybe a couple things had changed at camp. At least a hair cut was minor.