2. steve rogers

for breakfast and for yousteve rogers x gn!reader (fluff)synopsis: making christmas breakfastword count: 2

steve rogers x gn!reader (fluff)
synopsis: making christmas breakfast
word count: 2.1k
warnings: light use of y/n, kissing

the kitchen begins to smell of chocolate chip cookies and bacon, a slight sizzling in your ear. an apron is tied around your waist and you use it liberally to wipe off your hands, flour and egg splattered across it. cooking was never your strongest suit (at least that's what tony likes to say), but baking christmas morning is something you can't be beat at.

your hand swiftly swats the air as some smoke come up from the bacon (your mind a little preoccupied with the pancakes). setting off the smoke alarm at six in the morning was definitely not in your book of plans. your other hand gripping the handle of the pan and taking it off the heat, letting it cool down as you turn on the range hood.

"woah, what's going on here??" a warm and groggy voice turns your attention from the breakfast at hand.

when you look back, you see steve standing by the kitchen's entrance. he's shirtless, sweatpants clinging to his hips and covering part of his feet. steve's hair is all over the place, parts hanging forward and laying over his eyebrows. normally you'd be immensely embarrassed by the sight but the preoccupation of breakfast prevented any warm cheeks.

you turn back to the stovetop and push the bacon pan to the back, stopping the bacon from cooking anymore. "breakfast, i'm trying to make breakfast for christmas. but with how many things i've been making, i completely forgot about the bacon," an exhaustive sigh leaves you as you shake your head, shoulders dropping.

"how long have you been up cooking?" he questions, the gravelly tone diminishing greatly as soon as he realizes you're in need of some help.

"like five this morning- don't say that's too early rogers," you shoot him a glare, grabbing a spatula to flip the pancake, "i know you get up early to train most mornings. but i just wanted to make the morning special for everyone instead of just ordering donuts like tony does."

steve shakes his head, walking over to where you are in the kitchen, one hand on his hip while the other is running through his hair. you take a sharp breath in when you notice the profound muscles within his arms as he does so. with a quick turn back towards the pancakes, you can feel your little crush elevating.

it wasn't like it wouldn't work out between the two of you. both without families, partners, and you sleep just a room away from each other. but you've never had the courage to tell him, not with how enamored he still seems to be with peggy. you couldn't compete with the ghost of his love, even with the ability to make it snow every christmas.

"just you being here makes the morning special, you know that," steve starts, his eyes looking you even if you can't bring yourself to make eye contact, "just, let me help you. i'm awake anyway, so let me flip the pancakes. i make a killer pancake, ask anyone here, besides tony."