🔪2🔪

WARNINGS: Nuclear Winter. Implications of "death."

Narrator's POV:

They were not rescued. No one ever came.

But the one thing that did...is nuclear winter.

That nuclear winter finished off anything that the bomb had left alive.

The world continued to get colder and colder.

As it got colder, it grew to become deadlier.

? POV:

We arrived in a black horse drawn black carriage. The gates opened as we arrived. As he exited the carriage, he held out his hand, I accepted it as I walked out of the carriage as well.

The man driving the horses closed the door behind me. The horses neighed as they guided us through the fog results of the nuclear winter.

We held up our ID badges up to the two women, "I need to speak to Mrs. Venable" Mead says, "Yes, sir. Mr. Langdon, Mrs. Dunne." He offers for me to loop his arm into his and I do. We walk forward into the building, and I say, "Tend to the animals."

We took off our gear as we go through all the entrance protocols. All of these entrance protocols made me feel like I was at an airport. Mrs. Venable met us at the front. I guess she was shocked to see us as the servants closed the doors behind us.

She introduces herself, "Wilhemina Venable. I'm in charge here" I stay silent as he answers, "Of course you are" She responds, "You don't sound like you believe me."

He says, "Why wouldn't I?" I take a look around, "Seems like you've done a wonderful job. The walls are still standing. Your people are alive and healthy." He finishes, "Which is, quite a feat, considering..."

She asks, "Considering?" He clarifies, "That three more Outposts have been overrun, and the remaining three won't last through the year." She asks, "Why are you here?"

He says, "Because it's only a matter of time before the same thing happens to you. The good news is there's another facility. A sanctuary. This one's completely impregnable, and stocked with enough supplies to last a decade."

She asks, "You're here to take us there" He responds, "We've been assigned to evaluate the people here, and select the ones most worthy of survival." I say, "We could take all of you...or none of you."

He says, "Those who make it, live. Those who don't, end up like my horses."